lasius?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Thefooddude

lasius?

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:00 pm

I found an old log in my yard so I opened it up and there was an ant colony in it. I put them in an omni nest that I bought for my camponatus sp. but one died ,and the other escaped. Question one they keep ecscapung from my omni nest. What should I do question 2 how can I tell if they have a queen? I think they are Lassius flavus question three when I was scooping the ants up I got a lot of rotten log in the out world they are nesting in the log and they made it here graveyard in the chambers
I have a Lassius flavus colony i am new any tips?

Nathans

Re: lasius?

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:43 am

Hi there Im not sure about the first one maybe just make sure everything is sealed properly and think about the size of the ants they can squeeze through the smallest if gaps so keep that in mind.
2) the queen is always a lot bigger than the worker ants she will be very slow moving and surrounded by most of the ants... Another sign that you have a queen is you will start to see brood/eggs appear. Make sure that you keep your ants in the dark as well and with as little disturbance as possible... If you do not have a queen your colloney will begin to die as they have nothing to keep them going and will die off due to there short life span and no reproduction

3) I'm not sure what your question is for question 3 but if I was to Hazzard a guess it is something to do with them having a grave yard in the rotten wood you collected ... This is normal but make sure your out world isn't too big because they may also die due to them having to much space...

Hope this helped
Nathan.

Thefooddude

Re: lasius?

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:46 pm

I checked all of the gaps and the ants keep escaping 2 there is many Alastair that's wings fell off so I can't tell and since they are in the rotten wood I cannot see them there was brood in the log so there is already brood in there and my dad hired question is how do I get the rotten log out and get them to nest in the chambers
I have a Lassius flavus colony i am new any tips?