Monomorium minimum Parasitic towards Venus fly traps?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Alexjoness

Monomorium minimum Parasitic towards Venus fly traps?

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:22 am

Image I have a Venus fly trap sitting on my window seal and I noticed dirt inside of one of its mouth one day so I cleaned it out and by morning it was back so I watched it for a while and I found the weirdest thing ever. The ants are actually building dirt mounds in its mouth so they won’t close. They also are taking the flies out of its other mouths and practically stealing its food.

DontSquishTheAnt

Re: Monomorium minimum Parasitic towards Venus fly traps?

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:43 pm

Very interesting, have you seen them doing this or gotten any pictures? It seems like a hard task and I would like to know more.

EDIT:
Oops, I just saw that you tried to upload an image :shock:
I um, undoubtedly saw it before 8-)
First year and already enjoying it!

Founding:
1 Solenopsis molesta colony with ~10 nanitic workers and lots of brood

Genesis 1:24

Hunter36o

Re: Monomorium minimum Parasitic towards Venus fly traps?

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:01 am

The image is not working so could you please try upload again or upload to a Google drive or something and paste the link?

I used to own a fly trap os the same species and I want to get another when building a vivarium, however if this is how the ants act I think I'll just keep it separate.
I have seen, through AC's YouTube that ants are very quick to out smart carnivorous plants and build mutualistic relationships but this a not by any means mutual. This is making me think however, that if the ants are willing to risk stealing from your fly trap and have discovered a way to stop it eating them I would question if you are feeding the ants enough? If they had the required food amounts I would assume they would leave the fly trap alone. If it is a wild colony then clean your window and the area around your fly trap with vinegar.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.