Queen Ant

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Ants4life

Queen Ant

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:12 pm

I caught a queen about 3 days ago. I was wondering how long it takes for queen ants to lay eggs? It is a Camponotus pensylvanicus queen.

AntsRule

Re: Queen Ant

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:51 pm

Ants4life wrote:I caught a queen about 3 days ago. I was wondering how long it takes for queen ants to lay eggs? It is a Camponotus pensylvanicus queen.
Camponotus queens can take up to a few weeks to lay, as long as they feel comfortable. So only check them every 3-4 weeks. Then it will take 1-3 months for the eggs to hatch. Hope that helps :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Ants4life

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:09 pm

AntsRule wrote: Camponotus queens can take up to a few weeks to lay, as long as they feel comfortable. So only check them every 3-4 weeks. Then it will take 1-3 months for the eggs to hatch. Hope that helps :D
Thank you this was very helpful! Looks like I'm going to have to wait a while. She has not taken off her wing yet either so I really hoping shes fertile.

AntsRule

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:32 pm

Ants4life wrote:
AntsRule wrote: Camponotus queens can take up to a few weeks to lay, as long as they feel comfortable. So only check them every 3-4 weeks. Then it will take 1-3 months for the eggs to hatch. Hope that helps :D
Thank you this was very helpful! Looks like I'm going to have to wait a while. She has not taken off her wing yet either so I really hoping shes fertile.
You are welcome! Make sure you catch a few queens because about 4 in 10 will die or be infertile. You can always release them later on :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Fluffy

Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:37 pm

Seconded. Mine laid fast, but I just got lucky.Expect around 14-30 days.
Ants4life wrote: Thank you this was very helpful! Looks like I'm going to have to wait a while. She has not taken off her wing yet either so I really hoping shes fertile.
My red laid without detaching her wings. I'm hoping they come out as nanitics instead of males.