Super Major

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntnoobSG

Re: Super Major

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:16 am

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/ants/comments/6x4ial/questions_about_polymorphic_ants
Keeper of :
Camponotus albosparsus x2 :o
Camponotus Irritans ;)
Hoping for pheidole colony :D

ClashOwenBash

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:55 am

Typmachien wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:02 am
Hello, my colony of lasius niger is finally starting to grow i have around 4 workers at the moment. My question is: does this colony get majors or super majors when they grow larger or does this species not have majors?
Thanks in Advance!
Lasius Niger don't have majors or super majors.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

AntsDakota

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Or a sting or formic acid, for that matter.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Hunter36o

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:24 am

AntsDakota wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:07 pm
Or a sting or formic acid, for that matter.
Actually through study of recent behaviour of Lasius Niger and of course thanks to YouTube and the ever growing ant keeping hobby, Lasius Niger's do intact have a stinger of sorts, I even got to watch this first hand when I caught my first queen and her first reaction to the closed test tube was to literally go into stinging pose and actually pressed her abdomen where a stinger would be located and proceeded to stab the cotton 4 times before realising it was a waste of time.

This behaviour and through YouTube videos zoomed right in while witnessing this you can see a tiny little needle like piece at their ends.

Now a friend of mine had a good question on this as it has always been believed they cannot sting. He asked could evolution come I to play because he recalled me explaining about invasive ants and also the aggressive nature of tetramorium ants and wondered if they were forced to develop this defensive trait.

The other theory is they always had one but like many spiders and their fangs, they do not have the length in their stinger to pierce out skin.

Just another reason as to why I want to study these guys up close under different environments and such.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntsDakota

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Do other Lasius species have stingers?
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

TheRealAntMan

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:03 pm

No Lasius have stingers. What they probably had was a different species that looked like it.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

ClashOwenBash

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:34 pm

They might not have stingers but they might secrete some form of acid onto things. I've see Lasius Flavus queens defend themselves from other ant sp. by thrusting their abdomens onto the ants whilst pinning them down. They must be using that abdomen for something. (One of the L.Flavus queens is safe founding a colony with me :D the other ones I saw were long gone :( )
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!