AHH, help please. First workers were not workers, but male alate? Is this normal?

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

Hocept

AHH, help please. First workers were not workers, but male alate? Is this normal?

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:05 pm

So one of my solenopsis Invicta Queens had some rather large larva when I decided to take a peak to ensure no queens had died etc etc

I found it odd, but paid no mind. Until her first "worker" arrived. It is a winged male alate.

I originally believed queens did not start having queens and male alates until at least a few batches of workers were born? But this is her first one to develope.

I am not sure what to do, if anything? Will the male eventually die or will he break off his wings and start acting like a worker? Should I seperate him from the Queen, into a seperate area?

Not to mention it appears a second one is coming right behind him! As another large body can be clearly seen getting ready to immerge.

This is a big shock to me, she is one of my first queen ants as this was my first summer collecting them, and I was not expecting this. I would really like to avoid anything happening to her, as I did plan on keeping her if she and her colony make it.

I could really use a bit of advice, even if it is to simply let them be^^ Overall, I just want to know these things:

A) Is this normal/does it occur on occasion?

B) Will the alates harm my queen or her other eggs/worker larva?

C) Should I do anything different, now that she has a male alate in the test tube and another soon to come?

D) Will the male die quickly as most male alates do, or will he live like a normal worker unless he mates? And on that note, will he mate to my queen?

This is both exciting and scary! All the other queens are either still caring for eggs or have a few workers((the tiny brachy workers are adorable <33)), But then there is her! And apparently she said, "Screw the system", and popped out two alates on her first go :'D grand.

Oh, and so far I have just been giving them a drop of honey. How often should I feed them, and when should I introduce a more varied diet? On top of this, if a test tube housing a queen and eggs/larva, but no workers, goes dry/gets moldy, is it okay to try and get her to move? Or should I provide water in a different way until her workers arrive and can move the offspring?

idahoantgirl

Re: AHH, help please. First workers were not workers, but male alate? Is this normal?

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:32 pm

This means that your queen never mated. Unmated queens either die, or only produce male aleates. This is somewhat uncommon. Can you take pictures for educational reasons? I've always been interested in this. I'm not sure how their lives will proceed or how long they will live. It would be great if you could keep us posted on what happens. Maybe try providing them with food.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Hocept

Re: AHH, help please. First workers were not workers, but male alate? Is this normal?

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Ah, a little disappointing as far as a future colony goes, but interesting none the less!

I will post updates on her and her offspring here, and keep them fed. Will be posting pictures soon^^