Hello from Central Florida

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Gryon2011

Hello from Central Florida

Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:35 am

I'm in the research faze, but looking forward to gathering Queens in the next couple of weeks. Anyone have any info, or a place to forecast nuptial flights? I'm a little north of Tampa.

MadTopher

Re: Hello from Central Florida

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Hi Gryon, I live in Spring Hill too! I just noticed your post and thought what a coincidence. I am just researching and getting into the ant keeping and have been waiting for the nuptial flights for our local ant species too. Nice to meet you.

I've captured a queen fire ant and I have her in a test tube setup. She's laid about a dozen eggs already but i'm not sure she will make it as i'm really new at this.

MadTopher

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:56 pm

MadTopher wrote:Hi Gryon, I live in Spring Hill too! I just noticed your post and thought what a coincidence. I am just researching and getting into the ant keeping and have been waiting for the nuptial flights for our local ant species too. Nice to meet you.

I've captured a queen fire ant and I have her in a test tube setup. She's laid about a dozen eggs already but i'm not sure she will make it as i'm really new at this.

MadTopher

Welcome to the AntsCanada Ants Forum to the both of you. MadTopher as long as you setup a test tube correctly and keep her in a dark warm (not hot) place and leaver her alone she should be fine. If she's already laid eggs that means she has acclimated to her brooding area, now all you have to do is leave her alone and in a couple of weeks take a peek to see if the eggs have progressed from eggs to larva or to pupa stage. If they have that means she was a fertile queen and you should see her young turn into the start of your first colony.

Once she has about 5-10 ants in there with her you can introduce some sugar water or honey in a very very little droplet on some foil to feed them. Don't be alarmed if you lose one to the droplet, it kinda sucks but it happens. you can watch as they find it and start drinking it and then you'll be really surprised and joyed to see them take it back to the queen to feed her and the other little sisters. It's a really cool thing to see.

Good Luck with your potential future colony!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

MadTopher

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:29 pm

Excellent feedback. Thank you MadVampy.