Hey there!

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

PrinceAnt

Re: Hey there!

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:28 am

Hello! :D I suggest you put a moist cotton ball so that they can drink some water. Tap water is fine.

Did you put some workers to mate with the queen *Sorry, I didn't quite understand that part*? Well, that doesn't how things kinda work. Queens mate through the air and they are mated by drones (male ants) that are also winged ants that are smaller and looks like a wasp.

Here are some signs the queen is mated:
1. Her gaster (the back) is enlarged.
2. She often cleans her gaster.

It's best to check those signs after catching the queen shortly. Just make sure not to stress the queen by either bright light or through continous rapid vibration.

PrinceAnt

Re: Hey there!

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:27 am

Kealthas wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 am
Ah, thank you very much, drones was the word I was searching for. In germany we call those male ants "Prinz" means Prince and I also catched some of them.

I put some kitchen paper in water for the Ants, right after I put that into the container they sucked the water out of it and started washing themself on top of it.

I also saw one Queen cleaning her gaster. Even through it could only be one of those 8 Queens I catcked.
By the way, then they still were 3 Queens 2 began to fight and one got bitten, but now they all act friendly on each other.
They are a huge group now with like 3 drones and some workers taking care of them.

Thanks for giving me those tipps!
Well, no problem :D We're here to help each other.

Well, the queens that fought probably came from different colonies. But those that finally got along with each other probably belonged to a single colony. Keep taking care of them. Put them somewhere dark and free from vibration.