Updates from a Danish noob

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

oOFutteOo

Re: Updates from a Danish noob

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:07 am

30/8 2018

hey Ltislander and other ant people

After catching a lot of fruit flies in my kitchen, fast little critters :D . I decided it i were to much work an brought melworms, 6$ for 100g I'm setup fore a while even if nobody contact me in the GAN program and i end up with 5 colonies.
I have fed them 1 melworm and a drop of honey per colony 2 times a week, after reading Ltislander and som other post this seams to little, and will try feeding them every 2. day with the same amount.
When observing the outworld i regularly see 1 or 2 ants roaming around and feeding, but i would like to encourage them to build larger colonies.

antnest8

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:34 pm

how big are your colonies
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

oOFutteOo

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:35 am

All 5 collonies are now 10+ workers and have a lot of brood :D. I have tried to training them to stand in columns to make counting easier but it is not working :lol: :roll:

antnest8

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:27 am

i would guess :lol: :lol:
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

oOFutteOo

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:09 am

4/9-18

During the weekend i made a forced eviction on one of my families :D . they were put in a wrong size test tube that did not fit my modular setup so i desided to try and get them in the right size. I connected their test tube to an T connector one side on the 2 other sides of the T connector were a new test tube in my test tube holder and a mini outworld. Then i exposed the old test tube to sunlight and i bled the water from the water chamber by drilling a small hole. They started to run around right away and the queen moved to the T connector shortly after and the workers started to move the brood after her. I had to leave fore a shopping spree with my wife :shock: :D and when i got home the queen and all the brood had moved to the new test tube. There were no drama but it were very exsiding to follow.

Ltislander

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:41 pm

When I tried moving my colony they sat for 2 days and did nothing. Until I heated up the other tube. They left within 30 mins of heating.

oOFutteOo

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:17 am

18/9 2018

The colonies are all doing grate, i'm starting to think about putting the in hibernation. They don't seam that active most of the time they just hang out in the test tubes on occasion i see one or 2 ants in the outworld foraging. 4 of the families are nearing 20 ants the last one is a bit behind they have lost 2 ants to honey :cry: . now they all get 4 tiny drops of honey instead of on big.

oOFutteOo

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:01 am

13/10

There are not much to report on my ants im planning to send them to hibernation soon, my plan is to fill the test tube bye drilling a hole in the test tube and then fill the water chamber with a syringe and a needle. and the closing the hole with a piece of tape. Non of the test tubes have mold so i hope this will get them thru the winter without having to move them.

I'm down to 4 colonies now, this weekend i sold the first colonie threw the GAN :D, it is nice to be able to spread the joy, it was a teen with a permission from his parents. I gave him on of my mini outworld, a testube holder some mehl worms to give him and the ants a good start. he later send me a pic were he added some grave and small stones to the outworld it looked relay nice.

AntsDakota

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:56 am

oOFutteOo wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:05 am
24/06-2018
I have just been out i the front yard and there is a lot of activity in the ant hills out there. there are both queens and drones "im not sure what the males are called". But so far i have not seen any leave the entrance. I have uploaded some pictures of my formacarium and outworld. also i have made hose connectors and coffin like thing is to keep the testtube setup in the dark, tere is a lid for inspektion so you don't need to move it to look in to it.
https://imgur.com/a/AN97bQL
Male ants are only called simply "males" or "drones". Most people prefer "males".
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

oOFutteOo

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:12 am

@AntsDakota Thanks, i use drones from my time as a beekeeper but i think i prefer males more, so all know what we mean, there are no need to make it harder for the kids to understand when they start out. ;) later we can develop into ant loving nerds :geek: and learn the more technical terms.