New Ant Keeper from Ireland.

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Dingleboycan

Re: New Ant Keeper from Ireland.

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:38 am

Hello

I am from dingle and I have a almost 3 month old Lasius Niger ant colony and a 1 month old carpenter ant Colony which I probably shouldn’t have but I didn’t know they weren’t native here.

I am currently having trouble with my Lasius Niger colony the brood don’t seem to be developing and the brood are nearly 3 months old if anyone had any advise I would appreciate it.

I have been watching AntsCanada for almost two years my favorite Clooney of his would have to be the yellow crazy ants (the golden empire) because they have gone through so much and still survived.
I can’t seem to find a site that lets me see the native and invasive ant species plz help

Hunter36o

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:12 am

Okay so I take it by the months you have these you bought them?

If these were shipped across the country that could have caused some damage to the brood, if they where hibernated this could also account for the brood not developing as it's highly possible the brood did not survive the winter months.
If you can provide a little bit more information about your ants and how you got them I might be able to help out a little more and if I cannot someone else will.

If it's a worst case scenario and your colony/ queen does not make it I have 4 starting colonies of Lasius Nigers I will gladly give up one free of charge with the promise that they will receive the best care you can provide. But let's hope it does not come to that. First tell me more about your queen and her brood and how/ when you got them please.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Dingleboycan

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:07 pm

Thank you for your offer if it does come to the worst scenario i will take you up on it Hunter36o

so the most information i can give is it used to have around 6 but two went missing so currently i only have four and i know that a colony needs at least 5 or more to start a colony but i didn't think that was why my brood was not developing i received my ants from Anthouse there websites is anthouse.es they are in a nest stupidly enough i put them in there but i did not know at the time that they fell uncomfortable in a large area. rather than that i don't think there is any other information i can give at the time being

thx
ant love forever
I can’t seem to find a site that lets me see the native and invasive ant species plz help

Hunter36o

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:25 pm

Okay well I hate to be a pain and believe me when I say this, someone if not many are going to have a mild go for this one but your first and possibly biggest mistake was importing ants. This site is a strong believer in do not important ants as it posses risks to the ecosystem and to the ants them selves, I would comfortably say that was the cause. Way too much stress on the queens.
AntsCanada has voiced his opinion on this matter and stands at a strictly no importation of ants. If these managed to escape and trive they can be a treat on local species. A fine example of this are the imported fire ants in America.

Of course. I will have to arrange the small meet up for this and I will have to convince my partner to do the driving because I drive a motorcycle and it will produce seriously stressful vibrations. She likes Kerry tho so it should not be an issue. I will hand them over without an outworld as I am limited on test tube portals and I'm sorry but I'm not giving away an ant tower haha. They will be in an AC test tube tho and I am in the process of moving the last two colonies to clean test tubes so they should last some time. I will upload a link to a picture later tonight to show you their current condition before you completely agree to take them in. Only seem right.

As for your signature, go to my topic "Irish ants" where I asked that exact question and a forum user shared a link to a site that can be used. It is not 100% accurate as there are possibly more species they are unaware of in some countries and one species on that list is untouchable as it is protected since it is seriously endangered in our country and threatened world wide. Believe me I have asked the national parks where they can be found.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:27 pm

Oh and if your under the age of 16 get your parents permission first please. I don't want to be murdered for meeting up with a youngling :lol:

Hunter36o

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:31 pm

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1WLDTDRLJkzZOTEGxJTPjai_WpljjZyeJ
Let me know if that works. I think I have the permissions dont correctly :lol:

Dingleboycan

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:50 am

Yes I am under sixteen I am not to sure how to use a signeture on this website or end Website I will get promising from my parents to meet you where ever that may be. I will be sure to only collect ants from the wild from now on I should have known the what the consequence ws going to be. I am disipointed in my self for importing a not native species any suggestions on what I should do with them. My ladies niger
Coleny is not quite dead so what shall I do with them to. And I am still truly sorry for betraying our beliefs

Ant love forever

Hunter36o

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:25 am

Ah look it happens. If the carpenter ant queen is still alive then keep her. You already have it now and although the yes you should not have done it it is too late now and the best thing you can do is look after them and give them a good life. My only point would be to make sure they do not escape into the wild at any point.
I am not sure what the others will think but personally I would choose to care for them and not kill them just because a mistake was made but that is just my opinion.

Yes do talk to your parents, a trip to Kerry will not bother me or my missus as there is a possibility of spotting a species not currently found in my area and our son loves being in the car anyway. I spoke to her yesterday about the whole situation and she agreed to make the trip so long as we stop halfway to take a break. We are expecting our second child so the full length drive in one sitting will bother her that is all. If your parents prefer to talk to us directly first let me know and I will provide my number privately.

Hunter36o

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:27 am

Oh and if your Lasius colonies have workers and no queens just make them comfortable until their time comes. Feed them honeys and fruits if you have them handy.

Dingleboycan

Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:38 am

Congratulations on your second child and I really appreciate your offer to drive all the way down to Kerry with the colony. It would be a very long drive for your wife and son. My mom will be in Dublin on the 16th and my dad will be in Dublin on the 22nd April. If it works for you they say they could collect from you. My nana lives in Castleknock. I am so grateful for your generous offer of the colony and I am happy that I don't have to buy any more ants. It's so great to have your experience and advise. How long have you been interested in ants? i saw on a past post that you went to see the hairy wood ant can you tell me about them if you don't mind.

Ant love forever.