New Ant Keeper from Ireland.

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

Re: New Ant Keeper from Ireland.

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:46 am

What ever suits them suits me to be honest.
The colony has actually grown since the picture I shared. All pupae have opened up and the test tube is now wild with ants.

I have yet to go to the national park so I have not seen the ants in person. You can get a pdf file of the ants from Killarney national park website. I find them interesting because they are an old species that has been present in Ireland for centuries. Unfortunately they are endangered and the park have strict rules on them that stop us from being able to catch queens. I find that a shame because it means keepers way more experienced then me cannot try and help repopulate these ants. Still it will not stop me from checking them out and watching their activities up close.

Do you have a rough time as to how long your parents will be in Dublin? I work full time so I will not be free until after 5pm.
Also you do not have to buy ants at all. Even after I give you a colony you are open to catch freshly mated queen ants each year so it is always worth trying to find out what is in your area.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Dingleboycan

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:36 am

Hi i am wondering good ways of identifying the species around my area is there any site or way you could help me. my mom is heading up on the sixteenth and leaving on the seven-tenth so you will have time to give them to here and i am not to sure about my dad when he will be coming back down so i would suggest giving it to my mother if that suits you. if this doesn't bother you to much could you send a picture of all the new ants because now i am more excited about them and i would love to see them.thx so much.

Ant Love Forever
I can’t seem to find a site that lets me see the native and invasive ant species plz help

Hunter36o

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:59 am

Use http://antmaps.org to help you out. It's not 100% and it does not seem to be county specific just country.

Ah that suits me fine. I will give them to your mam so.
I will add a new photo to the Google drive I previously shared.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:07 pm

My Axolotl just stared the ants out of it while I took the pic but it's uploaded anyway.
I find it amusing how curious he is by them lol

Dingleboycan

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:47 pm

I just looked at the ants there are so many more i am so excited i was wondering if we could use private messaging for a place because you will probably give to my mom at a hotel or at my nan's house and i know i can trust the site but you never know.
cant wait to see your ants in person.

Ant love forever

Dingleboycan

Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:07 am

hi does anyone know where to get red tape so i can see the ants and not bother them.

Hunter36o

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:56 am

Lasius Niger actually see red lights better then most species according to wiki, care sheets and documents. So they do become a bit more unsettled over other ant species.
It would actually be more effective on your carpenter ants.

You can try arts and crafts shops first but if not, online is your best bet.

AntsDublin

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:15 am

Hello I just found this page im From dublin and have a lasius flavus and a lasius niger queens but hibernation is soon and they might not have there first nanitics by than should i hibernate them or not

Please help

SYUTEO

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:39 am

AntsDublin wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:15 am
Hello I just found this page im From dublin and have a lasius flavus and a lasius niger queens but hibernation is soon and they might not have there first nanitics by than should i hibernate them or not

Please help
You should, the brood doesn't develop during the winter.