I recieved a wired colony of Camponotus turkestanus

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

ProperName

I recieved a wired colony of Camponotus turkestanus

Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:31 am

I recently bought a 1 queen + 4 workers Camponoyus turkestanus colony online, but the colony I recieved include a Major in it. As I know, a small colony like this should not be able to raise a major. And also, workers are clearly bigger than they should be as the first worker generation of a queen.I suppose the seller send me a very weak colony that all workers died out and these are the last few workers remains.Is there anybody had been through similar situation? Or have any knowledge about that?Any advice would be very appreciated.

antperson24

Re: I recieved a wired colony of Camponotus turkestanus

Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:59 pm

ProperName wrote:
I recently bought a 1 queen + 4 workers Camponoyus turkestanus colony online, but the colony I recieved include a Major in it. As I know, a small colony like this should not be able to raise a major. And also, workers are clearly bigger than they should be as the first worker generation of a queen.I suppose the seller send me a very weak colony that all workers died out and these are the last few workers remains.Is there anybody had been through similar situation? Or have any knowledge about that?Any advice would be very appreciated.
I don't know, you could ask the seller. But some times if the queen is fed really well she will produce large workers.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SYUTEO

Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:42 pm

He could also have brood boosted the queen. Even if he didn't queens can still produce majors this early on, someone even got majors as nanitics.

antsofTH

Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:37 am

ProperName wrote:
Honestly, I don’t buy Queens online as they can come with the risk you just mentioned. Also, why in the world are you buying exotic ants? Anyways, it is possible for the nanitics to become Majors, as mentioned by the user SYUTEO (Credit to him for the info). So, don’t be surprised. The shop owner most likely did not send you a weak colony. Majors can die in the same conditions as workers too. No, the workers did not die out. No, the colony is not weak and Yes, the Majors are very likely nanitics
Hope to hear more about your colony.
I’m just a normal ant keeper living in a tropical area. :D

Owning:
Messor Structor
Camponotus spp.
Colobopsis Leonardi

Founding:
Two Solenopsis Geminata Queens

ProperName

Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:40 pm

antsofTH wrote:
ProperName wrote:
Honestly, I don’t buy Queens online as they can come with the risk you just mentioned. Also, why in the world are you buying exotic ants? Anyways, it is possible for the nanitics to become Majors, as mentioned by the user SYUTEO (Credit to him for the info). So, don’t be surprised. The shop owner most likely did not send you a weak colony. Majors can die in the same conditions as workers too. No, the workers did not die out. No, the colony is not weak and Yes, the Majors are very likely nanitics
I am not a native speaker so please forgive about my poor English.
Technically,it is not a exotic ant for me cuase I curently live in China,Camponotus turkestanus do have distribution in Xinjiang (a province of China).
The colony has arrived to my place for a week and they consumed some protein which seems good.I use the same test tube set up as they arrived,I think I'll wait for another month to see if the queen lay eggs.
The reason I said it could be a weak colony is that a local dude likes Camponotus singularis very much and has really nice colonies told me that majors have higher priority when colony condition is poor, worker will always die before majors. Beacause majors need more protein and effert to raise and they are stronger to keep colony save form dangers in the wild. colonies live in place rich in food or other resource will have more workers to expand colony as fast as possible.So a health colony always has lower major/worker ratio(at least in Camponotus singularis) It seems like a strategy to increase the chance to survive and it's reasonable for me.Also I have never see any colony have major as nanitic myself.
I think wether a larva will grow up as worker or major most likely depend on worker's pheromone(one of many pheromone which specifically for larvae to determine what they will become).When a new coloy established, concentration of queen's pheromone is high,larvae will tend to grow up as workers.As the number of workers grows, concentration of worker's pheromone grows up too,larvae get chance to grow up as majors.This is basiclly why I think there is not much chance to have majors as nanitics. Nutrien is probably a cofactor, pheromone should be the main factor and maybe due to genetic problem,some colony could change the position of these two factor end up having majors as nanitics.
But these are all just my own thought and I didn't study so much about myrmecology so please correct me if I'm wrong.

antsofTH

Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:22 pm

ProperName wrote:
antsofTH wrote:
ProperName wrote:
Technically,it is not a exotic ant for me cuase I curently live in China,Camponotus turkestanus do have distribution in Xinjiang (a province of China).
The colony has arrived to my place for a week and they consumed some protein which seems good.I use the same test tube set up as they arrived,I think I'll wait for another month to see if the queen lay eggs.
The reason I said it could be a weak colony is that a local dude likes Camponotus singularis very much and has really nice colonies told me that majors have higher priority when colony condition is poor, worker will always die before majors. Beacause majors need more protein and effert to raise and they are stronger to keep colony save form dangers in the wild. colonies live in place rich in food or other resource will have more workers to expand colony as fast as possible.So a health colony always has lower major/worker ratio(at least in Camponotus singularis) It seems like a strategy to increase the chance to survive and it's reasonable for me.Also I have never see any colony have major as nanitic myself.
I think wether a larva will grow up as worker or major most likely depend on worker's pheromone(one of many pheromone which specifically for larvae to determine what they will become).When a new coloy established, concentration of queen's pheromone is high,larvae will tend to grow up as workers.As the number of workers grows, concentration of worker's pheromone grows up too,larvae get chance to grow up as majors.This is basiclly why I think there is not much chance to have majors as nanitics. Nutrien is probably a cofactor, pheromone should be the main factor and maybe due to genetic problem,some colony could change the position of these two factor end up having majors as nanitics.
But these are all just my own thought and I didn't study so much about myrmecology so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Queen might have been Brood Boosted from another healthier colony.
But you are right, it is possible for nanitics to become Majors.
But, if I’m wrong, Maybe she was fed protein really well?

Owning:
Messor Structor
Camponotus spp.
Colobopsis Leonardi

Founding:

antsofTH

Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:29 pm

ProperName wrote:
antsofTH wrote:
ProperName wrote:
Oh, Sorry! I thought you were in Italy, which is shown on your location :lol:

Owning:
Messor Structor
Camponotus spp.
Colobopsis Leonardi

Founding:

ProperName

Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:16 am

antsofTH wrote:
ProperName wrote:
Fortunately,she laid her first egg this morning

antsofTH

Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:04 am

ProperName wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:16 am
antsofTH wrote:
ProperName wrote:
Fortunately,she laid her first egg this morning
Wow! Good to hear about your colony! Hope they will do well with you.

Owning:
Messor Structor
Camponotus spp.
Colobopsis Leonardi

Founding: