Ideal species for genetic experiments.

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

PotentsAnt

Ideal species for genetic experiments.

Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:20 am

Good morning and greetings from San Antonio. I'm conducting some DIY CRISPR experiments and I'm looking to hopefully find an ant species that will work for my needs. The main requirements are that the ants need to be able reproduce and I must have access to the queens at an early stage of development. I'm aware of Harpegnathos Saltators ability to produce "gamete queens" however I don't think I can get my hands on these let alone properly care for them. Any recommendations?

SYUTEO

Re: Ideal species for genetic experiments.

Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:45 am

The species you need depends on where you live. If you live in where Harpegnathos lives (or if you live in Europe) you can get your hands on them (just don't let them escape). I heard that some Pachycondyla can have alates as nanitics.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:11 pm

PotentsAnt wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:20 am
Good morning and greetings from San Antonio. I'm conducting some DIY CRISPR experiments and I'm looking to hopefully find an ant species that will work for my needs. The main requirements are that the ants need to be able reproduce and I must have access to the queens at an early stage of development. I'm aware of Harpegnathos Saltators ability to produce "gamete queens" however I don't think I can get my hands on these let alone properly care for them. Any recommendations?
Like make alates? Or get workers to reproduce? Odontomachus will produce males and sometimes alates in early stages also.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

PotentsAnt

Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:27 pm

The species just needs to be able to pass on genetic information without the help of an outside colony. From what I understand black crazy ants can have up to 40 queens in a single colony. They are already invasive to where I live so I think I'll try to get some of those.

SYUTEO

Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:55 pm

PotentsAnt wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:27 pm
The species just needs to be able to pass on genetic information without the help of an outside colony. From what I understand black crazy ants can have up to 40 queens in a single colony. They are already invasive to where I live so I think I'll try to get some of those.
From what I know, not many species can reproduce without another colony. Black crazy ants are one of them but it takes time for them to produce new queens. There is another option i know, Ooceraea biroi. They are the only invasive Dorylinae and all workers can lay diploid eggs via parthenogenesis. Platythyrea punctata that live in the Carribean can produce female offspring from unfertilized eggs.

PotentsAnt

Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:08 am

Ooceraea biroi seems like it would be an excellent candidate but they are not readily available. Fortunately though time won't be an issue for me. I'm just doing these experiments for fun and I don't expect them yield any real results. My goal is to insert the the gfp gene into these ants and make them glow under ultra violet light. I'll provide updates on these experiments if anybody is interested. I'm using yeast for now and should have some nice bright fungus by Friday if all goes well.

SYUTEO

Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:20 am

Do note that Ooceraea biroi only feeds on larvae of other ants so feeding them may be a bit difficult.

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:28 am

PotentsAnt wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:08 am
Ooceraea biroi seems like it would be an excellent candidate but they are not readily available. Fortunately though time won't be an issue for me. I'm just doing these experiments for fun and I don't expect them yield any real results. My goal is to insert the the gfp gene into these ants and make them glow under ultra violet light. I'll provide updates on these experiments if anybody is interested. I'm using yeast for now and should have some nice bright fungus by Friday if all goes well.
I am interested but… don’t release those ants. Like, at all. Every mutation usually comes with something we are unaware of so it’s creating biological weapons.

Also, don’t you need a permit to genetically modify ants? Not sure just I think you might.

PotentsAnt

Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:18 pm

I don't plan to release them but I am sure they would be harmless. Or at least no more harmful than their unmodified versions. In the United States there are few laws on modifying species other than us. Even then you can still try and tweak your own DNA. There are even certain exceptions that allow you to work with human embryos. When you modify an organism you can patent and market it. Glofish are an example of this and what got me into genetic engineering. I believe the permit you are thinking of relates to transport of already modified organisms. I could be wrong though. If the feds knock down my door for making mutant ants I'll take it as a compliment.

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:05 pm

PotentsAnt wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:18 pm
I don't plan to release them but I am sure they would be harmless. Or at least no more harmful than their unmodified versions. In the United States there are few laws on modifying species other than us. Even then you can still try and tweak your own DNA. There are even certain exceptions that allow you to work with human embryos. When you modify an organism you can patent and market it. Glofish are an example of this and what got me into genetic engineering. I believe the permit you are thinking of relates to transport of already modified organisms. I could be wrong though. If the feds knock down my door for making mutant ants I'll take it as a compliment.
It is illegal to release genetically modified organisms. You need some sort of permit.