Hello from San Jose California

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

ethanB

Hello from San Jose California

Tue May 24, 2022 8:56 pm

Hi everyone!

Just registered here. I’ve watched a few AntsCanada videos in the past but thats about as far as my interest in ants goes. Things changed today when out of the blue, in my office at work, I looked down and a big beautiful girl was walking across my phone. I believe she is bi color carpenter queen, but not positive. I’ll attach a pic for ID. Anyway, I want to see if she’ll start a colony, but I’m pretty lost, would a test tube set up work for her? Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Ethan

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Hello from San Jose California

Tue May 24, 2022 9:11 pm

ethanB wrote:
Hi everyone!

Just registered here. I’ve watched a few AntsCanada videos in the past but thats about as far as my interest in ants goes. Things changed today when out of the blue, in my office at work, I looked down and a big beautiful girl was walking across my phone. I believe she is bi color carpenter queen, but not positive. I’ll attach a pic for ID. Anyway, I want to see if she’ll start a colony, but I’m pretty lost, would a test tube set up work for her? Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Ethan
Welcome to the forum! You can link a photo on imagur or google photos so we can try to ID that beauty! Camponotus are fully claustral, so she will be able to lay eggs and raise a colony in a regular test-tube setup.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

LaniLyne0106

Wed May 25, 2022 1:42 pm

ethanB wrote:
Hi everyone!

Thank you!

Ethan
Welcome Ethan! :D

Like SolenopsisKeeper said a test tube setup would work great as she is fully claustral (needs no food while founding). A nice tip I would like to add is to keep her in a dark space and try hard not to check up on the queen too often as this can stress her. Checking up once or twice a week is fine.
➪ Ant Colonies
• Pogonomyrmex occidentalis colony
• 3 Camponotus Sansabeanus colonies
• Camponotus Vicinus
• 1 Formica Fusca
• 5 Liometopum apiculatum
• Pogonomyrmex Pima
• Pogonomyrmex Barbatus
• pheidole queen

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed May 25, 2022 1:49 pm

LaniLyne0106 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:42 pm
ethanB wrote:
Hi everyone!

Thank you!

Ethan
Welcome Ethan! :D

Like SolenopsisKeeper said a test tube setup would work great as she is fully claustral (needs no food while founding). A nice tip I would like to add is to keep her in a dark space and try hard not to check up on the queen too often as this can stress her. Checking up once or twice a week is fine.
I would advise to check on her once a week, like LaniLyne0106 said, as Camponotus usually get stressed very easy. Also, when making the setup, make sure your hands and materials are clean so no mold grows until the queens get workers. Good luck! ;)

Ps. I see we’re bolding names now? Ty for mentioning
When you accidentally reply to yourself…