Greetings from MI

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

galaxyquartz

Greetings from MI

Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:55 pm

I know it is far too late in the year to begin my own colony, however I have recently become enraptured with raising and keeping ants and am looking for some good advice in the meanwhile as I research species near my home and nuptial flights for next year/ What are some need to knows for a budding ant keeper?

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Greetings from MI

Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:07 pm

galaxyquartz wrote:
I know it is far too late in the year to begin my own colony, however I have recently become enraptured with raising and keeping ants and am looking for some good advice in the meanwhile as I research species near my home and nuptial flights for next year/ What are some need to knows for a budding ant keeper?
Be patient
Don’t be risky(Only sometimes :))
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:27 am

To get started, look up stores that sell you feeder insects. To secure the food supply. ;)
Get some testtubes.
Lookup the local species. You can start with the list of ants on AntWiki and then go through the species that might interest you. :)
For more help feel free to roam through the Forum and see what other people are asking or dealing with. ;)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

galaxyquartz

Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:06 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:07 pm
galaxyquartz wrote:
Be patient
Don’t be risky(Only sometimes :))
Noted! Thank you!

galaxyquartz

Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:07 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
To get started, look up stores that sell you feeder insects. To secure the food supply. ;)
Get some testtubes.
Lookup the local species. You can start with the list of ants on AntWiki and then go through the species that might interest you. :)
For more help feel free to roam through the Forum and see what other people are asking or dealing with. ;)
Oh and I needn't worry about feeders as I own a leopard gecko already so i already have a ton of feeders around the house.
I will deffo look up some test tubes, is there a reccomended diameter? but thank you I have been perusing the forum a little to see whats up

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:55 am

galaxyquartz wrote:
AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Get some testtubes.
Oh and I needn't worry about feeders as I own a leopard gecko already so i already have a ton of feeders around the house.
I will deffo look up some test tubes, is there a reccomended diameter? but thank you I have been perusing the forum a little to see whats up
Depends on species. Colobopsis likes smaller tubes.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:57 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:55 am
galaxyquartz wrote:
Depends on species. Colobopsis likes smaller tubes.
To avoid buying X different kinds of testubes, you can make smaller chambers. For example by using tubing to make rings inside of the testtube. Or you can use some kork to make a ring with a small hole. But that really depends on the species you want to keep. ;)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.