Carpenter ants

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Whamlin1

Carpenter ants

Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:46 pm

I’m almost ready to give up, I’ve been looking for a queen carpenter ant here in fort Myers Florida and I can’t find one. And there’s not local Gan farmers near my area. Just need a little advise and I know I have to keep looking but geez I can’t find anything

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Carpenter ants

Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:42 am

I guess right now might be the wrong saison for camponodus nuptial flights. You should check what species of camponodus you want ant try to find a nest somewhere in the wild. When they do their nuptial flights, it could be that they take place during noon after a day of rain. The other option would be to get a queen from one of the neighboring states, if that species is local. And of course if it's legal to import an Antcolony from a neighboring state. I heard that some states have a very strict law about this.

Another option could be to find an Antstore in Florida and check with them.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Carpenter ants

Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:04 pm

Whamlin1 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:46 pm
I’m almost ready to give up, I’ve been looking for a queen carpenter ant here in fort Myers Florida and I can’t find one. And there’s not local Gan farmers near my area. Just need a little advise and I know I have to keep looking but geez I can’t find anything
It is winter and they have flights during the night I think. Also, watch eBay as there is a seller who I bought a colony from. A lot of people will go “That’s illegal” well actually it’s not. You just can’t cross state borders. So check to see if a seller is in Florida, and you can buy. My 6 worker colony I bought was quite pricy, at 50$. Also, look under pies of wood, as Floridanus does not bore through wood, but Lives in hollowed out sticks. I found a dead in my driveway… and GAN farmers are unreliable. I emailed one in October, and still no response. :roll:
When you accidentally reply to yourself…