New antkeeper here! Am I doing this right?

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Worlock51

New antkeeper here! Am I doing this right?

Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:09 pm

Hi all! I have always loved ants and found their colonies super interesting. After meeting with a gan farmer, I now have a cute little formica queen with 2 workers!

I have their test tube set in their outworld, covered, with a bit of sugar and protein right outside. I also have a clean test tube sitting right beside it for them to move to if they want, since their original is starting to mold. There is also a small bit cotton by both tube entrances in case the ants want to "close the door."

The queen has 2 workers, but no brood that i can see. I read somewhere that formica ants don't lay many eggs in fall and winter, plus the movement of getting her home and set up probably stressed the queen a bit, so I'm not too worried.

Is there anything else I should do, or anything else I should know? Thanks in advance for anyone that answers. 😊

SYUTEO

Re: New antkeeper here! Am I doing this right?

Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:45 pm

It's near hibernation so the brood will die (only the pupae survive), their activity will slow down and the queen will not lay eggs. You can hibernate your ants in the basement if you have one.