New to ant keeping

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

AliveJomar

New to ant keeping

Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:56 am

Hello, I’m new to the hobby and I wanted to see if there’s tip for me to use. First I live in florida and I wanted to know if anyone knew of the best species here for beginners? I love cephalotes varians and they can be found here but there’s not a lot of information on them, I would like a beginner or around a cephalotes if anyone has information I will greatly appreciate it.

Antloverhuman

Re: New to ant keeping

Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:37 am

Cephalotes is not a good beginner species. I would suggest having either camponotus or lasius ants, both of them are found in Florida and are easy to keep. Both the queens are fully claustral so they are easy to maintain. If you get a
fully claustral queen just put her in a test tube setup, keep her in dark and dont disturb her. Chek on her every week or two
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SYUTEO

Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:53 pm

I suggest starting out with easy species such as Camponotus, Lasius and Formica. Cephalotes are hard to keep and most beginners often fail with them.

Antmanboy

Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:00 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:53 pm
I suggest starting out with easy species such as Camponotus, Lasius and Formica. Cephalotes are hard to keep and most beginners often fail with them.
I do not know what specific species in Florida but I have experience with camponotous ants and can confirm they are a great begginer species.