Quebec City Anyone?

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

ManikClub

Quebec City Anyone?

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:11 pm

Hi, I'm Alex, 42, from Quebec City, host of the twitch.tv/ManikClub channel. For 2 years or so, I've been following AntsCanada's youtube page and now, since the quarantine, I started to think about getting my own "ant farm"...
The wife doesn't want me to... claiming she hates the mandibles...
As previously stated, I live in Quebec City... any others around Charlesbourg/Beauport?
I can't seem to find any queens around my parts...

ManikClub

Re: Quebec City Anyone?

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:04 am

Okay so ... Discussion with the wife update :
She says that, to her, the "premade, plastic and acrylic formicarium", again, in her opinion, are cruel because "ants want to dig".
So she likes the formicarium with the blue gel. Is that something you can buy separately?
as was also wondering... is it possible to "craft" a formicarium from... plastic, acrylic, plexyglass, "kit-bashing", at home... what are the bonding elements (glue, hot glue, super glue) that can be safely used?

Anyone in quebec city selling queens?

QJH2023

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:31 pm

ManikClub wrote:
Okay so ... Discussion with the wife update :
She says that, to her, the "premade, plastic and acrylic formicarium", again, in her opinion, are cruel because "ants want to dig".
So she likes the formicarium with the blue gel. Is that something you can buy separately?
as was also wondering... is it possible to "craft" a formicarium from... plastic, acrylic, plexyglass, "kit-bashing", at home... what are the bonding elements (glue, hot glue, super glue) that can be safely used?

Anyone in quebec city selling queens?
um first off do not put in those gel nests those are horrible I recommended https://www.AntsCanada.com/product-category/ant-tower-series/ great for keeping ants as for home made just take 2 plexiglass sheets and put them together leaving enough space for the ants to dig and at the bottom have plexiglass separating the bottom from the digging area and place some dirt in there and drill holes in the seperater to let moisture in and keep the bottem dirt very moist replace every so often to avoid mold
keeper of: 41xCamponotus novaeboracensis, Crematogaster spp. and unidentified species and tapinoma sessile

QJH2023

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:33 pm

ManikClub wrote:
what are the bonding elements (glue, hot glue, super glue) that can be safely used?
as for bonding agent just use aquarium sealent
keeper of: 41xCamponotus novaeboracensis, Crematogaster spp. and unidentified species and tapinoma sessile

ManikClub

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:15 pm

Am I right to assume that the size of the colony depends on the size of the habitat?
I mean... otherwise, why would anyone buy the small ant tower, right?

QJH2023

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:07 am

ManikClub wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:15 pm
Am I right to assume that the size of the colony depends on the size of the habitat?
I mean... otherwise, why would anyone buy the small ant tower, right?
if you had tiny ants like Aphaenogaster