springtails being hunted

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Aido967

springtails being hunted

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:13 am

hey everyone, I have colony of Aphaenogaster longiceps thats very small at the moment, and everytime i try and introduce springtails to keep mold to a minimun they attack them. Is there a certain reason for this am i possibly not feeding them enough or are they just not wanting to share their space? Has anyone ever had similar problems?

TheCrazyAntLady

Re: springtails being hunted

Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:37 pm

I personally have a large Tetramorrium Immigrans colony and they are OBSESSED with eating springtails, despite the fact that I feed them 2+ large superworms a day, plus the occasional dead mouse. (Compliments to my cats) I think it may just be an instinct thing but I do recommend you try giving them more food.
Hello from the backwoods of KY!

Currently keeping:
Tetramorrium Immigrans x1
Aphaenogaster Picea x2
Aphaenogaster Rudis x1
Lasius Americanus x1
Crematogaster Cerasi x1
Unknown x1

Hawkeye

Re: springtails being hunted

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:04 am

Aido967 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:13 am
hey everyone, I have colony of Aphaenogaster longiceps thats very small at the moment, and everytime i try and introduce springtails to keep mold to a minimun they attack them. Is there a certain reason for this am i possibly not feeding them enough or are they just not wanting to share their space? Has anyone ever had similar problems?
I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. They probably just instinctively hunt. If you place some pieces of fruit like apple in your arena, the springtails will flock to it and multiply like crazy. Basically eliminating the problem of losing a few to the ants.