Hello from Virginia!

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Clownboy

Hello from Virginia!

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:18 pm

Hello, friends! My name is Clownboy. I’m a professional clown serving the southeastern Virginia area for the past twenty-five years. I’ve been watching the AntsCanada channel off and on for several years now and have even considered doing an ant farm. Since we’re on quarantine and all my gigs had to cancel, I’ve pretty much been holed up watching the channel all the time! I’ve finally decided to try my hand at ant keeping. I had mentioned this to my boss (I keep a regular job as well and it’s considered essentially, so at least I’m working) and he called me this afternoon saying he found THREE queens while gardening! So I’m heading out to pick up the queens and to get some dinner. Now I don’t have any test tubes (though I did order some a few minutes ago), so they are going to be kept in a plastic container. I asked him to put a soaked cotton ball in there for water and a honey/water mixture also soaked in a cotton ball. Would that be good enough for now? Can’t wait to share my ant raising adventures with you!

BluMoon

Re: Hello from Virginia!

Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:09 pm

If you haven't already got a test tube by now, I think that as long as the plastic boxes are quite small, it should be okay. Also, unless your queens are semi-claustral, you won't actually need to give them sugar water and proteins yet; the water cotton bud alone is good - that's if your queen is fully claustral. If your queens are semi-claustral then you will need to provide a foraging area as they will still need to look for food in their founding stage.
Also, just make sure the cotton buds don't leak water as this may drown the queen in the puddle.
Hopefully you do now have the test tubes, and have moved your queens into their test tubes.
About having three queens, unless that species is polygynous, you'll need to keep them in separate areas otherwise they may fight (to the death). Even if they are polygynous, it may be a good idea to keep them separate.
Keeper of 1 x Strobe Ant Queen + Larvae + 0 x Workers :D

Hawkeye

Re: Hello from Virginia!

Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:06 am

Clownboy wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:18 pm
Hello, friends! My name is Clownboy. I’m a professional clown serving the southeastern Virginia area for the past twenty-five years. I’ve been watching the AntsCanada channel off and on for several years now and have even considered doing an ant farm. Since we’re on quarantine and all my gigs had to cancel, I’ve pretty much been holed up watching the channel all the time! I’ve finally decided to try my hand at ant keeping. I had mentioned this to my boss (I keep a regular job as well and it’s considered essentially, so at least I’m working) and he called me this afternoon saying he found THREE queens while gardening! So I’m heading out to pick up the queens and to get some dinner. Now I don’t have any test tubes (though I did order some a few minutes ago), so they are going to be kept in a plastic container. I asked him to put a soaked cotton ball in there for water and a honey/water mixture also soaked in a cotton ball. Would that be good enough for now? Can’t wait to share my ant raising adventures with you!
Hi there!

Welcome to the hobby :D Do you have any pictures of your queens?