Hello from Melbourne, Australia

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

JimmyBanks

Hello from Melbourne, Australia

Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:38 am

G’day,

I’m just starting out in keeping ants, the last 2 nights I’ve been out looking for queen ants with no luck but if nothing else I’m getting a little exercise (even if I’m not walking to fast). I ordered some test tubes which arrived the other day so they are ready for when I finally find some. It rained today so from everything that I’ve read I should be on the lookout in the next few days.

I really have no idea what I’m doing and what a queen ant looks like. They look so big on YouTube videos but I guess that’s the art of macro lenses. Here’s to hopefully catching 1 or 2 in the next few days and starting out on the journey. I’m really looking forward to it. It’s time for me to have a search of these forums and see if there’s anyone in Melbourne that’s posted about what native species are around my neck of the woods.

Cheers.

Hawkeye

Re: Hello from Melbourne, Australia

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:02 am

JimmyBanks wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:38 am
G’day,

I’m just starting out in keeping ants, the last 2 nights I’ve been out looking for queen ants with no luck but if nothing else I’m getting a little exercise (even if I’m not walking to fast). I ordered some test tubes which arrived the other day so they are ready for when I finally find some. It rained today so from everything that I’ve read I should be on the lookout in the next few days.

I really have no idea what I’m doing and what a queen ant looks like. They look so big on YouTube videos but I guess that’s the art of macro lenses. Here’s to hopefully catching 1 or 2 in the next few days and starting out on the journey. I’m really looking forward to it. It’s time for me to have a search of these forums and see if there’s anyone in Melbourne that’s posted about what native species are around my neck of the woods.

Cheers.
Good day to you too! Glad to hear you're interested in the hobby of ant keeping. The queens can range from a couple of mm to about 2 cm in length depending on the species. I have no clue when nuptial flights are in your country, I live in the Netherlands myself and it is very much Autumn over here.