Hello from North brisbane, Australia

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Markus3284

Hello from North brisbane, Australia

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:20 am

Hey guys, just thought I'd throw up a post introducing myself and ask a couple of questions, for anyone that is local :)

I'm curious what ants are around brisbane, specifically Redcliffe and surrounds.

Any local shops, or substitutes for test tubes and what not? (I feel like postage would be a killer)

I've still got a lot of research to do before I make the leap (any links would be brilliant) and start up.

Thanks for the help in advance =D

AusAnts

Re: Hello from North brisbane, Australia

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:02 am

Markus3284 wrote:
Hey guys, just thought I'd throw up a post introducing myself and ask a couple of questions, for anyone that is local :)

I'm curious what ants are around brisbane, specifically Redcliffe and surrounds.

Any local shops, or substitutes for test tubes and what not? (I feel like postage would be a killer)

I've still got a lot of research to do before I make the leap (any links would be brilliant) and start up.

I'm not from Brisbane but from what I know there should be Camponotus [sugar ants], iridomyrmex sp [black pavement ants], pheidole and maybe opisthopsis. The bush around the city should contain Myrmecia [bullants]. If you can't find test tubes use floral tubes or vinyl tubing with water block one end.
2 x iridomyrmex sp Queen:15+ workers
2 x iridomyrmex pallidus: 40+ workers
1 x pheidole megacephala:2 queen 300 workers.
1 x opisthopsis Queen: 14 workers

ArizonanAnts

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:23 am

Hello there!

Following is a very helpful site of native species in New South Wales and Queensland:

https://antmaps.org/?

I put native in bold because you might find non-native species.

Hopefully, this is helpful!

-ArizonanAnts
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

Rakeil

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:03 am

North Brisbane?...nice, gold coast based here and it's nice to see another queenslander

Hawkeye

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:22 am

Markus3284 wrote:

Hi there!

If you check antwiki.org you can see the list of species in your country. It will also tell you if they were introduced/ are invasive.
Your local florist or drugstore will likely have some tubes.

Loolmanlegacy

Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:57 pm

Drugstore? I never knew what people call those in America! It’s nice to know some new language!
Keeper of:
1x Iridomyrmex bickenilli, first workers

Hawkeye

Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:50 am

Loolmanlegacy wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:57 pm
Drugstore? I never knew what people call those in America! It’s nice to know some new language!
I am from the Netherlands ;) Not American sorry to disappoint. Somehow the website seems to deem the synonym of Apothecary a bad word and changes it into ***. So the store you go to to get medicine.