Hello from London, UK

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

LadyManga

Hello from London, UK

Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:45 pm

Hi All,
I'm usually bad at this stuff but I just wanted to say hi. I'm Lady Manga, very new to ant keeping but I've been watching AntsCanada for a while now and the impulse grabbed me when the Lasius niger took flight recently and I caught 2 queens!
I showed them off to my D&D friends on Discord and turns out one of them is also AC fam so she'll be watching my progress and be someone I can also talk ants with.
I've also applied to be a GAN farmer so, hopefully, I get to meet and trade with some of you awesome people in the future and learn more about these fascinating critters.

Speaking of Critters, Bidet to any of you who are also crossing the streams out there! :ugeek: /
2 x Lasius niger queens
> Queen Antoinette - claustral stage - ~15 nanitics + brood
> Queen Antonia - claustral stage - ~10 nanitics + brood
1 x Tetramorium caespitum queen
> Queen Antigone - claustral stage - no eggs

Hawkeye

Re: Hello from London, UK

Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:55 pm

I'm from the Netherlands but there are loads of people from the UK on here.

LadyManga

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:51 pm

Nice to meet you, Hawkeye.
What kinds of ants do you have and, aside from myrmecology, what floats your boat?
2 x Lasius niger queens

Hawkeye

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:16 am

LadyManga wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:51 pm
Nice to meet you, Hawkeye.
What kinds of ants do you have and, aside from myrmecology, what floats your boat?
I have 2 Camponotus ligniperda Queens and 6 Lasius niger. I am a newbie at keeping ants, but have rather complicated and intricate plans to build a miniature biotope for them to live in, surrounded by a fast flowing 'river' which houses Asian fish species that can devour them...

If you're interested check the links in my signature. It might actually give you some helpful tips, or you can pick elements to incorporate in your own setup

LasiusSapien

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:43 am

hello from Bristol, uk new to the wonderfully world of ants too have 2 lasuis niger queens and a solenopsis fugax queen on it's way to me

i have a empty 110 liter fish tank staring at me wonder how many ants will fit in there :lol:
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

LadyManga

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 am

I have 2 Camponotus ligniperda Queens and 6 Lasius niger. I am a newbie at keeping ants, but have rather complicated and intricate plans to build a miniature biotope for them to live in, surrounded by a fast flowing 'river' which houses Asian fish species that can devour them...

If you're interested check the links in my signature. It might actually give you some helpful tips, or you can pick elements to incorporate in your own setup
Ah yes, I have done, it looks awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing the working setup as it comes to fruition.
I hope to do a similar natural setup when my partner and I move into our own place but for now, our current living arrangements only really allow for me to have a small, simple setup so I'll most probably just be selling colonies I raise in the meantime, and keep just one of my current Lasius niger queens.
2 x Lasius niger queens

LadyManga

Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:54 am

LasiusSapien wrote:
hello from Bristol, uk new to the wonderfully world of ants too have 2 lasuis niger queens and a solenopsis fugax queen on it's way to me

i have a empty 110 liter fish tank staring at me wonder how many ants will fit in there :lol:
Wow, I'm gonna say all the ants.
I'm not sure how big my old fishtank is. I used to keep GALS that I inherited from my dayjob in it back in the day, but then they just kept breeding so I had to give two away. It's empty now since the one I kept died a few years back.
It doesn't have a watertight lid so I don't think I can keep ants in it unless I make it into a teeny-tiny paludarium, but that might be a bit much right now.
2 x Lasius niger queens

Hawkeye

Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:32 pm

LadyManga wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:54 am
LasiusSapien wrote:

Wow, I'm gonna say all the ants.
I'm not sure how big my old fishtank is. I used to keep GALS that I inherited from my dayjob in it back in the day, but then they just kept breeding so I had to give two away. It's empty now since the one I kept died a few years back.
It doesn't have a watertight lid so I don't think I can keep ants in it unless I make it into a teeny-tiny paludarium, but that might be a bit much right now.
As long as you can cover the lid with a layer of baby powder mixture, Vaseline or fluon, you should be okay. I'd cover the top of the sides to make sure, but I don't think you should have a problem containing the ants.

LadyManga

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:51 pm

As long as you can cover the lid with a layer of baby powder mixture, Vaseline or fluon, you should be okay. I'd cover the top of the sides to make sure, but I don't think you should have a problem containing the ants.
Baby powder mixed with rubbing alcohol, right?
2 x Lasius niger queens

Hawkeye

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:42 pm

Yes thats correct