BtechDerek

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

BTechDerek

BtechDerek

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:25 pm

Hi,

I have recently taken up an interest in ant keeping. While it is currently winter here in Wellington, New Zealand, my traps have found a few species of ant in my area. The most common species is Chelaner antarcticum.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/28423444

My information suggests that nuptial flights begin in September but really ramp up late Feburary, early March. I have had some trouble associating flight dates with particular local species.

I am producing a nest using polystyrene 1cm deep with acrylic sheet windows. I currently don't have the funds for a professional nest but I will begin saving for one. I am working on a plan to setup a moisture gradient within my nest and the polystyrene sheets should help keep it high enough to mimic our local environment.

I have a degree in Biotechnology which is in a big part the use of biochemistry in the world. I have been pretty buzzed to see the level of thought and next level thinking applied by experienced ant keepers.

I gotta go to work but hope to get back to you all later to get to know you all.

Antloverhuman

Re: BtechDerek

Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:50 am

they didnt get back to us later
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony