Hello all!

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

CacheAnts

Hello all!

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:05 am

I'm dropping in to say hello everyone! I've been a long time lurker but I figured I would register and join in on the fun!

I've loved any sort of creepy crawly ever since I was a young boy, I was born in the USA but grew up in Japan till I was 7 and then moved back. Both of my parents were ESL teachers over there, so I blame the palm sized cicadas, stag beetles and spiders I encountered in Japan when I was young on the infatuation I have with insects now when I'm older.

I used to be an avid arachnid keeper and had quite a few different scorpions, tarantulas and even the odd centipede in my bug room. I moved away from that hobby now that I have kids thankfully haha.

Anyways, what really goaded me to join this evening is that while I was out on a walk I came across a few Tetramorium Alates without wings just hanging out on my side walk. I'd purchased a starter kit earlier this year so I was prepared with testubes and cotton balls!

I have two tubes with a queen in each and then I have a tube with 3. But I suspect one of them is unmated or atleast a male I have read Tetramorium is considerd to be a polygene species (am I using that right?) Should I expect trouble or maybe even separate them? Or should I wait it out and see?

Thank you in advance! Glad to be here and thank you so much Mikey for helping my fire for insects be rekindled again!

Hawkeye

Re: Hello all!

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:28 am

CacheAnts wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:05 am
I'm dropping in to say hello everyone! I've been a long time lurker but I figured I would register and join in on the fun!

I've loved any sort of creepy crawly ever since I was a young boy, I was born in the USA but grew up in Japan till I was 7 and then moved back. Both of my parents were ESL teachers over there, so I blame the palm sized cicadas, stag beetles and spiders I encountered in Japan when I was young on the infatuation I have with insects now when I'm older.

I used to be an avid arachnid keeper and had quite a few different scorpions, tarantulas and even the odd centipede in my bug room. I moved away from that hobby now that I have kids thankfully haha.

Anyways, what really goaded me to join this evening is that while I was out on a walk I came across a few Tetramorium Alates without wings just hanging out on my side walk. I'd purchased a starter kit earlier this year so I was prepared with testubes and cotton balls!

I have two tubes with a queen in each and then I have a tube with 3. But I suspect one of them is unmated or atleast a male I have read Tetramorium is considerd to be a polygene species (am I using that right?) Should I expect trouble or maybe even separate them? Or should I wait it out and see?

Thank you in advance! Glad to be here and thank you so much Mikey for helping my fire for insects be rekindled again!
How did they fare?

idahoantgirl

Re: Hello all!

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:14 am

Welcome! Tetramorium is not polygene species. While they may tolerate each other for a while, it'll end poorly.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile