Ant keeper and entomology student, NL

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Koejj90

Ant keeper and entomology student, NL

Thu May 02, 2019 1:53 am

Hi everyone,

As an entomology student at Wageningen University, the Netherlands, I admire the wonderful world of ants, bugs and other insects. My small student room is packed with insects and plants :D Currently I have 5 ant colonies and 4 Coleoptera species.

At the moment I am doing my internship at botanic garden "de hortus" in Amsterdam where I am searching for a solution against tropical ants (Technomyrmex sp. and Plagiolepis sp.) using biological control. I have read about mites that can parasitize ants and I would like to do some experiments with them. However I first need to find and collect these mites... If you have any idea how I could get these parasitic mites, please let me know.

Greetings, Karen (Koejj90)

Siegward

Re: Ant keeper and entomology student, NL

Thu May 27, 2021 11:12 am

I also studied entomology in Netherlands at the Maastricht University! I have always been obsessed with bugs and different insects, I don't know why I like them so much, but they have something special that atract me so freaking much! Oh man, now I got so many flashbacks from my student years, it was one of my favorite periods in life, everything was sooo beautiful, great and easy! Oh man, the prom, it was incredible! I was having one of the best tuxedos that I could find onhttps://www.gentlemansguru.com/product-category/prom-tuxedos/ . The good old times!