Greetings everyone!

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Antzilla

Greetings everyone!

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:24 am

Just wanted to say hello to everyone on this forum.
I'm new to Entomology and ants but I'm learning everyday. I currently have one Camponotus lignipurdes queen with about 18 total eggs. I found my queen on the side walk in the first week of June. I attempted to cultivate a colony last year but I was such a novice that I captured a Camponotus major worker, haha. This year though I studied and now I have my very first colony. I didn't have any pyrex test tubes so I used an alcoholic test tube plastic shot glass, it did the trick but because of the colored plastic, the queen is hard to see in photos. I do admit this fun and very interesting. Anyways just wanted say hello and introduce myself.

Mr Zilla

nightxwolf88

Re: Greetings everyone!

Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:09 pm

Hello and welcome. I was hit hard by the ant fever but on a low budget and wasn't gonna let that stop me. I started out using old pill bottles haha. The color may be better to keep it darker for your queen they dont like being disturbed especially camponotus. I now use sections of vinyl tubing plugged with ear plugs works good for me as test tubes haha.

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:18 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)

Do you mean the European Camponotus ligniperda?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

idahoantgirl

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:43 pm

nightxwolf88 wrote:Hello and welcome. I was hit hard by the ant fever but on a low budget and wasn't gonna let that stop me. I started out using old pill bottles haha. The color may be better to keep it darker for your queen they dont like being disturbed especially camponotus. I now use sections of vinyl tubing plugged with ear plugs works good for me as test tubes haha.
hey just to let you know to be careful with the vinyl tubing as test tubes. I tried it with one of my queens and it flooded for no reason and completely wiped out the coloney
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Antzilla

Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:03 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Welcome to the forum. :)

Do you mean the European Camponotus ligniperda?
Yes. Camponotus ligniperda

nightxwolf88

Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:07 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
nightxwolf88 wrote:Hello and welcome. I was hit hard by the ant fever but on a low budget and wasn't gonna let that stop me. I started out using old pill bottles haha. The color may be better to keep it darker for your queen they dont like being disturbed especially camponotus. I now use sections of vinyl tubing plugged with ear plugs works good for me as test tubes haha.
hey just to let you know to be careful with the vinyl tubing as test tubes. I tried it with one of my queens and it flooded for no reason and completely wiped out the coloney
hmmmmm maybe because the vinyl has flex I'm sorry to hear that. I haven't had trouble yet but my budget will soon allow for an upgrade to some nice ac test tubes and portals

Antzilla

Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:10 pm

I am sure it is Camponotus but the species ligniperda or ligniperdus is from europe and asia, maybe I didnt identify the species correctly? I wish I had a better camera so I can show everyone here.

larynx

Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:19 pm

Antzilla wrote:I am sure it is Camponotus but the species ligniperda or ligniperdus is from europe and asia, maybe I didnt identify the species correctly? I wish I had a better camera so I can show everyone here.
Hi, welcome to the AC world.
Yeah, Camponotus ligniperda are way far from where you are in Canada. When ever you get a pic, description and measurement, you should try for an ID. some times ants need a little different care according to the species. great job thus far though, and good luck. :)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer