Hello from Payson, Arizona!

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

263DJM106

Hello from Payson, Arizona!

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:37 pm

Hello there. My name is David and I am trying to get back into ant keeping. I use to have a colony of carpenter ants about two years ago that I took care of for several months. Unfortunately the colony died out(my guess is that the queen died of old age as this colony was captured from my back yard and I had no way to know how old it was). Anyway, after that happened I kept trying to raise my own colony from a single queen for the next year, never being successful. I gave up after my tenth failed attempt for a while. I want to get back into ant keeping though because I've learned a lot in the past year and now know more than I ever did before. I'll likely need help quite often though so I'll post any questions I have on the forum. It's nice to meet all you fellow ant keepers and I hope we can work together on whatever challenges we face in this field!

StormDancer

Re: Hello from Payson, Arizona!

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:30 am

Hi there! It's always great to have new ant keepers around. I am from New Mexico myself so likely we will encounter many of the same species which I find awesome. I don't know of many people here who are keeping the desert species.
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!

263DJM106

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:17 am

It's really nice having several different species here in Payson. I hope to get a Pogonomyrmex barbatus queen next summer. I find these harvesters are one of the most durable species in my area. I hope your colonies do well and if you don't currently have one I wish you the best of luck in your search for new queens.

AntsDakota

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:55 pm

Welcome! If I lived in Arizona, I would love a colony of Acromyrmex.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25