hello from Georgia!

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Boxingants

hello from Georgia!

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:58 pm

:D :D Hello, i've come here by AntCanada youtube channel and become fascinated with the system ants have for their society. With AntCanada, im thinking of starting my own ant colony. However, i think the nuptial period is over, i am unsure. Some help?

larynx

Re: hello from Georgia!

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:06 pm

hey man, nice to meet some one else from GA. im outside of athens, and the nuptial flights are not over at all here. ive been catching queens for a couple weeks now. -solenopsis invicta -componotus so far recently. just wait for a good rain, then go out looking after,when its sunny outside. im sure you will find something, at least until fallish. happy anting :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Boxingants

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:04 am

Im wondering if you can look for queen ants when it hasnt rained. Is the rain a preference or a mandatory thing. Im curious cause im pretty eager to look for some.

FatMug

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:10 am

Boxingants wrote:Im wondering if you can look for queen ants when it hasnt rained. Is the rain a preference or a mandatory thing. Im curious cause im pretty eager to look for some.

Hey there,
Fellow Georgian, here.
I found a Camponotus queen at a friend's house on a Friday night, no rain or anything. I say, just keep your eyes peeled, and you'll more than likely come across several. Just have something handy to scoop her up with! The rain just helps increase your chances, I'm guessing.

larynx

Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:17 pm

its not necessary for it to rain t find them. it raises your chances exponentially though. here is an article explaining.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18983219
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:42 pm

Yes, keep looking night or day, rain or shine. You have until the first half of Septemeber. In some years, the last mass of Lasius nuptial flights happen as late as October in Canada so you should also have nuptial flights there in Georgia. :)
Ant Love Forever.