Saguenay species !?

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

MysticalGinger

Saguenay species !?

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:54 pm

Hey guys! I’m new at ant keeping and I would like to know what species live in my area?

I’m living in the province of Quebec, canada in the region of Saguenay... Maybe you could help me with that?

AntsDakota

Re: Saguenay species !?

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:11 pm

MysticalGinger wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:54 pm
Hey guys! I’m new at ant keeping and I would like to know what species live in my area?

I’m living in the province of Quebec, canada in the region of Saguenay... Maybe you could help me with that?
According to AntMaps, there are 92 native species in Quebec. But I'll just list ones that are easy to find and beginner species. Camponotus pennsylvanicus and novaeboracensis are common throughout temperate North America. There are various species from the genus Lasius found everywhere. Formica is a very common genus, and a diverse one too. Formica fusca is one of the most common species. Myrmica rubra is an invasive species, but is semi-claustral, meaning you have to feed it during the founding stage. They also have a painful sting. This makes it more difficult than most ants. Tetramorium immigrans is another invasive species, but they are much easier to keep. Solenopsis molesta are tiny yellow-orange ants that feed on grease and brood of other ants. If you find a queen, it is probably from one of these genera.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

MysticalGinger

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Alright thank you! I will try to find a queen of camponotus novaeboracensis wich look very cool with their red abdomen :o

I would also like to know if it is difficult to create a formicarium like those in AntsCanada videos? The olympus style? They will need water, food, light... is it to hard to care of? If no, I will take every tips you can give me! :D Oh and... I do I clean this? Does it smell? I would love to have them in my room if possible!

Thank you already!

AntsDakota

Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:12 pm

No clue. I prefer artificial setups.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:00 pm

MysticalGinger wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:52 pm
Alright thank you! I will try to find a queen of camponotus novaeboracensis wich look very cool with their red abdomen :o

I would also like to know if it is difficult to create a formicarium like those in AntsCanada videos? The olympus style? They will need water, food, light... is it to hard to care of? If no, I will take every tips you can give me! :D Oh and... I do I clean this? Does it smell? I would love to have them in my room if possible!

Thank you already!
Myrmica are almost to completely red.