Heyla

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Batface

Heyla

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi all. I've recently moved to Louisiana from Texas. I'm new to keeping ants. I started looking for a queen last summer, but had no luck until this summer. I caught 2 queens the last weekend of June, one has workers now. She is an acrobat ant queen, and she has 6 workers. I put her tube is a small citterkeeper out world, since her workers are fast and aggressive. The other queen has eggs but no workers yet. I used a straw to give the test tube an entryway, and I think she moved all the young into the straw, that's fine right? I'm trying not to mess with her for a week or so, so they can get used to it.

AntsDakota

Re: Heyla

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:58 pm

Batface wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:54 pm
Hi all. I've recently moved to Louisiana from Texas. I'm new to keeping ants. I started looking for a queen last summer, but had no luck until this summer. I caught 2 queens the last weekend of June, one has workers now. She is an acrobat ant queen, and she has 6 workers. I put her tube is a small citterkeeper out world, since her workers are fast and aggressive. The other queen has eggs but no workers yet. I used a straw to give the test tube an entryway, and I think she moved all the young into the straw, that's fine right? I'm trying not to mess with her for a week or so, so they can get used to it.
She will choose what environment is best for her and her young. Also, you should not check on them for one week always, not just so they can adjust to their new surroundings.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25