Hello from Wisconsin

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Sonalan

Hello from Wisconsin

Tue May 31, 2016 2:01 am

Hey guys! I'm pretty new here. I've never kept ants except for when i was little, but i never had queens. This will be the first summer of trying to catch queens. So far i've had dumb luck.

Last wednesday was the first 80 degree day in Wisconsin. It stormed that morning. I was going to go for a walk and look for queens about an hour after the storm. I came out of my room and i noticed the cat looking at something on the wall next to my tv. It was a queen! Scooped her up in a testtube settup and i set out to look for more. I walked for an hour and found none.

So tonight I went to walmart to get a blacklight. I was going to set it out in the yard with a sheet and see if i could attract any queens. But first i had to grill. It was around 10pm and i was taking food off the grill. I looked down and there was a queen on the cement with her wings still on. I ended up getting her in a tube and good to go. I came back out around 1 am to put the grill away and setup the blacklight. And there was another queen scuttling accross. Got her in a test tube as well. I guess the driveway motion sensor light being on was enough to attract them. So i guess i wasted money on the blacklight. :lol:

I ordered a $20 macro lens off amazon. So hopefully i can get a positive ID on these later this week. But i'm pretty sure all 3 are camponotus pennsylvanicus. So i guess my queen hunting is going ok.

snakemanvet

Re: Hello from Wisconsin

Tue May 31, 2016 11:56 am

welcome,I am new here to and congrats on finding a queen.

AntsRule

Re: Hello from Wisconsin

Tue May 31, 2016 1:44 pm

Welcome it is great to see another person getting into the hobby! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.