Concerned about keeping ants in my home.

Make your suggestions here.
DeeJayX

Concerned about keeping ants in my home.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:41 pm

My biggest worry is the winter. I think the local ants make there nest deep enough under ground that they dont freeze. But in a formicarium I'm afraid they will freeze to death. My house is old and the heater only worm a few feet around it. I know some ants can live through a freezing but I'm having trouble finding info on the locale ants. I live in a high altitude desert. So the summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and drier.
Also, where is there a good place to find info on the ants in my exact location. California is a big state with different claimants through out. Any info that can be given would be of great help.

idahoantgirl

Re: Concerned about keeping ants in my home.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:46 pm

DeeJayX wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:41 pm
My biggest worry is the winter. I think the local ants make there nest deep enough under ground that they dont freeze. But in a formicarium I'm afraid they will freeze to death. My house is old and the heater only worm a few feet around it. I know some ants can live through a freezing but I'm having trouble finding info on the locale ants. I live in a high altitude desert. So the summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and drier.
Also, where is there a good place to find info on the ants in my exact location. California is a big state with different claimants through out. Any info that can be given would be of great help.
Does the inside of your house actually get below freezing? 32 degrees?
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

DeeJayX

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:52 pm

I'm sure it dose not get to freezing. If it did there would be busted pipes every winter. Just not sure if the ants would be as worm in a formicarium as they would be deep in the ground.

idahoantgirl

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:28 am

DeeJayX wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:52 pm
I'm sure it dose not get to freezing. If it did there would be busted pipes every winter. Just not sure if the ants would be as worm in a formicarium as they would be deep in the ground.
If you can stand how cold it is, then it is definetly fine.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile