Are Formica Aserva polygynous?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Iloveantssimuch

Are Formica Aserva polygynous?

Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:57 pm

I found 2 Formica Aserva Queens. One today and one yesterday. The one I caught yesterday is doing good. I gave her some Formica pupae and she accepted them. I'm wondering if Formica Aserva are polygynous because I have no space for this Formica Aserva Queen and I also can't find anymore pupae. So I wanna know if I can just throw her in the test tube with the other Formica Aserva Queen who has the pupae.

AntsInMB

Re: Are Formica Aserva polygynous?

Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:27 pm

I could be wrong, but I do not believe they are polygynous.

Iloveantssimuch

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:45 am

So a little update. I ended up putting her in the test tube with the other Formica Aserva Queen that has pupae and they are doing well. When they first came into contact, they did the little polygynous antenna ritual, which is what I see before they merge into a colony and work together. I've seen this with my other polygynous queens, so I was relieved. Today I found some Formica spp pupae and a good amount of it. Before they had 6 pupae, now they have an estimate of 20 (I forgot to count). I introduced the pupae to them, including a host worker, and they killed the host worker but took the pupae. A couple hours later, a worker emerged, and they seem to be friendly with each other, even with the other queen. Tomorrow I am going to put them in a tub and tube set-up and we'll see what happens. 

Iloveantssimuch

Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:02 pm

Nevermind, I don't think Formica Aserva are polygynous.