how I should remove ants from a log into a formicarium?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Iloveantssimuch

how I should remove ants from a log into a formicarium?

Sun May 15, 2022 2:46 am

There's this myrmica colony nesting in a 2 feet long log that's damp and somewhat easy to pull apart with a hammer. But is there a more efficient way of doing this? I currently have them in a tub with tubing connecting to a mini hearth XL (tarheelants). I also have a baby powder/rubbing alcohol barrier on the tub. I'm just wondering how I can get them out of the log and into the mini hearth XL without injuring the queen or having it take a long time. I think the species is incompleta.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: how I should remove ants from a log into a formicarium?

Sun May 15, 2022 11:51 am

Iloveantssimuch wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 2:46 am
There's this myrmica colony nesting in a 2 feet long log that's damp and somewhat easy to pull apart with a hammer. But is there a more efficient way of doing this? I currently have them in a tub with tubing connecting to a mini hearth XL (tarheelants). I also have a baby powder/rubbing alcohol barrier on the tub. I'm just wondering how I can get them out of the log and into the mini hearth XL without injuring the queen or having it take a long time. I think the species is incompleta.
Hmm… you don’t want to wait, so you have to break it apart my hand…

Actually, try heating the mini hearth… they may move pupae for heat, which speeds up development
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Iloveantssimuch

Sun May 15, 2022 12:39 pm

Okay that doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'll have to get one today then. How long do you think it'll take the ants? And if that doesn't work then I'll have to take it apart with a hammer but I'll need something to anchor the log.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun May 15, 2022 1:54 pm

Iloveantssimuch wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 12:39 pm
Okay that doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'll have to get one today then. How long do you think it'll take the ants? And if that doesn't work then I'll have to take it apart with a hammer but I'll need something to anchor the log.

Ok, listen. You need to make sure the mini hearth is dark, along with the tubing too the log(They will move at night) and you need to make sure they know where the mini hearth is. They may not move the queen for a while, but if they move pupae and you disturb the nest(log), they will be outa there pretty quick. It should take the ants a few hours to discover the heat and move pupae. Not sure how to anchor the log…

Iloveantssimuch

Sun May 15, 2022 11:46 pm

Okay so here's what happened. I couldn't find any 15 watt heating cables at my local pet store, I also tore apart the log but didn't see a queen (which is fine cuz there was a lot of ants). Now there's bits and pieces of the log in the 6 feet long container that they're hiding under. The tubing I got is too small for them. So now there is ants and brood all over inside the tub. And I don't have enough time to wait, so I just put the minihearth XL in the tub. With both entrance holes open and the top closed with two nestmates. One filled with sugar water and one filled with water. I even put a cut up mealworm at the foraging area in the minihearth XL. So I'm hoping they'll find the food and move the colony into the humid minihearth XL. So In the morning tomorrow, i can close the holes up and bring them to my room. Let me know if this is okay.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon May 16, 2022 7:04 am

Iloveantssimuch wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 11:46 pm
Okay so here's what happened. I couldn't find any 15 watt heating cables at my local pet store, I also tore apart the log but didn't see a queen (which is fine cuz there was a lot of ants). Now there's bits and pieces of the log in the 6 feet long container that they're hiding under. The tubing I got is too small for them. So now there is ants and brood all over inside the tub. And I don't have enough time to wait, so I just put the minihearth XL in the tub. With both entrance holes open and the top closed with two nestmates. One filled with sugar water and one filled with water. I even put a cut up mealworm at the foraging area in the minihearth XL. So I'm hoping they'll find the food and move the colony into the humid minihearth XL. So In the morning tomorrow, i can close the holes up and bring them to my room. Let me know if this is okay.
Should be fine, BUT,
Never fill nestmates with sugar water. It says so itself in the nest mate YouTube video by THA

Iloveantssimuch

Mon May 16, 2022 12:07 pm

Well its too late now, I'm already at school so it's gonna take a bit til I get back. So what happens if you do? Does it just mold quicker? Or does it damage it somehow? Because I thought you could put sugar water in nestmates.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon May 16, 2022 1:24 pm

Iloveantssimuch wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:07 pm
Well its too late now, I'm already at school so it's gonna take a bit til I get back. So what happens if you do? Does it just mold quicker? Or does it damage it somehow? Because I thought you could put sugar water in nestmates.
It shouldn’t be a problem now, only after 72 hours in May leak I think