Keeping Multiple Fire Ant Queens?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SeanSz

Keeping Multiple Fire Ant Queens?

Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:37 pm

Hey AC Family, I am planning on starting a Red Imported Fire Ant colony (just waiting for my new hybrid nest and test tubes to come in) in the next week or two. While outside, I have spotted numerous RIFA queens bustling around looking for new places to start nests. I planned on just starting one colony, but because of the huge presence of fire ants in my area, I was thinking about establishing a multiple queen super colony. Has anyone ever tried this? Any advice or comments would be much appreciated!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Keeping Multiple Fire Ant Queens?

Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:33 pm

SeanSz wrote:
Hey AC Family, I am planning on starting a Red Imported Fire Ant colony (just waiting for my new hybrid nest and test tubes to come in) in the next week or two. While outside, I have spotted numerous RIFA queens bustling around looking for new places to start nests. I planned on just starting one colony, but because of the huge presence of fire ants in my area, I was thinking about establishing a multiple queen super colony. Has anyone ever tried this? Any advice or comments would be much appreciated!
I tried, but it turns out, you need to get th exact species down and get lucky. For example, determine between solenopsis invicta and xyloni? Nope. And then, if a queen dies day after you check, it will mold and kill other queens, and if you check every 4 days, they get stressed, and die.(Experience) if you want a multi queen colony, it’s beneficial to take one from the wild to free up space for native ants…
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SeanSz

Re: Keeping Multiple Fire Ant Queens?

Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:26 am

:ugeek:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:33 pm
SeanSz wrote:
I tried, but it turns out, you need to get th exact species down and get lucky. For example, determine between solenopsis invicta and xyloni? Nope. And then, if a queen dies day after you check, it will mold and kill other queens, and if you check every 4 days, they get stressed, and die.(Experience) if you want a multi queen colony, it’s beneficial to take one from the wild to free up space for native ants…
Good to know. Thanks for the advice! It is much appreciated!