New Colony, HELP!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SeanSz

New Colony, HELP!

Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:45 pm

Hey everyone. I have been wanting to start an ant colony for some time, and finally found a red imported fire ant queen this afternoon after a big rain. Because I had not planned to start a colony for another few weeks, I did not order any test tubes, and at this point it is too late. Does anyone have experience with starting a brand new colony in a terrarium or “critter keeper” type enclosure. I am currently holding her in one of my fish aquarium nets, and she is resting in the dark. Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: New Colony, HELP!

Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:17 pm

SeanSz wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:45 pm
Hey everyone. I have been wanting to start an ant colony for some time, and finally found a red imported fire ant queen this afternoon after a big rain. Because I had not planned to start a colony for another few weeks, I did not order any test tubes, and at this point it is too late. Does anyone have experience with starting a brand new colony in a terrarium or “critter keeper” type enclosure. I am currently holding her in one of my fish aquarium nets, and she is resting in the dark. Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you!
I do indeed have experience, but not with new queens. You don’t nessecary need test tubes, but they are helpful. I would put her in a solo cup(with dirt) with some sort of covering. If you want an invicta colony, find a very large mound, you could kick it to get inside, and 20%of the time I find a queen, otherwise just take tons, and tons, and tons, of brood and give them to your queen(preferable pupae(20 count) and if she turns out to not be fertile, you could always find another.

Also, make sure you ain’t allergic.

Also, don’t feel to bad if she dies, I don’t even catch invicta queen at this point, I used to see nine on my driveway(a day)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…