Do I need to move my Queen?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

KerriD

Do I need to move my Queen?

Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:52 pm

I just found my first queen (I believe she is a carpenter) a few days ago and set her up in a test tube. The tube I am using is one that I picked up from my local craft store and looking at her in the tube I feel it may be a bit small. I ordered larger ones with the intention of moving her but when I checked on her today I noticed that she had begun to lay eggs. Do I move the queen and eggs to give her more space or just wait until the first round of workers is fully developed? {The current tube is ~10cm long with a ~1.5cm opening}

Thanks for your help!

https://imgur.com/vnXoi9U :Image of my queen and her eggs

AM1C39

Re: Do I need to move my Queen?

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:11 pm

That tube is big enough leave her there.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

books201

Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:38 am

Hello, I think that the tube is enough for her, but if you had something else bigger, you can put it in the bigger one because the more space, the better the queen, better if she had as much space as possible, I also had the queen in the tube and it was enough for her

Elrichiz

Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:44 pm

books201 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:38 am
Hello, I think that the tube is enough for her, but if you had something else bigger, you can put it in the bigger one because the more space, the better the queen, better if she had as much space as possible, I also had the queen in the tube and it was enough for her
I'm sorry, that isn't true, the queen feels better in a small place.

Elrichiz

Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:52 pm

It's better to leave her there, when she's got 15-30 workers you can pass her to a bigger place, such as the bigger test tube you mentioned. (but in this situation of 15-30 workers would be better to have a formicarium)

Another reason to pass them to a formicarium is when the ants start to try to escape from the test tube, in that hypothetical situation you should pass them to a formicarium which shall have an outworld.

Another reason to pass them to a formicarium is when there are escapees when feeding them.

Greetings,

Richard