Feeding my queen

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

TMoneyAnts

Feeding my queen

Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:28 pm

Alright so I just caught another camponotus sansabeanus queen and decided to do some experimenting with this one. When I offered her sugar water she loved it and spent forever drinking it and licking at some sandwich meat I gave her. Could this help her produce quicker or better?? I want to know if I should try this with my other. Or maybe see which one does better.

AM1C39

Re: Feeding my queen

Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:59 am

You can do that but ants should have fresh water at all times.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

NKantsalberta

Re: Feeding my queen

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:16 am

TMoneyAnts wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:28 pm
Alright so I just caught another camponotus sansabeanus queen and decided to do some experimenting with this one. When I offered her sugar water she loved it and spent forever drinking it and licking at some sandwich meat I gave her. Could this help her produce quicker or better?? I want to know if I should try this with my other. Or maybe see which one does better.
As long as you clean out the meat before it spoils you should be fine. I provided honey for my first ever caught camponotus queens, and have noticed no difference from queens I had not fed. Fully claustral queens have all the nutrition stored in their bodies for their first brood, and they will only produce to what they can care for anyway. I never really notice full on egg production until there are a handful of nanitics, and at that point they are fed regularly.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts