Questions For Queen Ants

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

anonymous1234568

Questions For Queen Ants

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:02 am

I have a colony making one of my trees unstable, so I had to dig it up, but I also wanted to get myself a queen. I dug through the colony and only found some alates with wings, I don't think I saw any queens. Is it possible that one of the alates might be a queen but did not pull of her wings? :?:

Haze809

Re: Questions For Queen Ants

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:08 am

I would say very unlikely.
The ants do a good job at hiding the queen, you would have a very very hard time finding her among the thousands of other ants.

You found an established colony with alates, i would suggest to just wait for a thunderstorm followed by a hot day or even if it gets hot a couple hours after.. and go check around the colony for those alates you saw to be crawling around without wings this time.

That is what I did and worked for me. i also did not have luck finding a queen in established colonies

anonymous1234568

Re: Questions For Queen Ants

Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:59 am

Haze809 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:08 am
I would say very unlikely.
The ants do a good job at hiding the queen, you would have a very very hard time finding her among the thousands of other ants.

You found an established colony with alates, i would suggest to just wait for a thunderstorm followed by a hot day or even if it gets hot a couple hours after.. and go check around the colony for those alates you saw to be crawling around without wings this time.

That is what I did and worked for me. i also did not have luck finding a queen in established colonies
Thank you very much for the tip!