help me turn two frames into a formicarium

Make your suggestions here.
phbora

help me turn two frames into a formicarium

Wed May 13, 2020 11:36 pm

So, I have this two frames that are not being used and I wanted to make a formicarium with them for my ants. The thing is that I still don't know how I'm gonna do this or how I'm going to maintain it's humidity, the length I'll leave between the frames, etc.
Then I'd really appreciate if any of u guys had an idea or advice to give me.

Hawkeye

Re: help me turn two frames into a formicarium

Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:50 am

While I like the idea, I doubt those frames are very suitable for your plans. It's got angled leading edges which have screws in them. So attaching other panes and getting a watertight fit will be difficult.
You're probably better off scoring a free aquarium from someone who got tired of the hobby and use that instead.

phbora

Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:37 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
While I like the idea, I doubt those frames are very suitable for your plans. It's got angled leading edges which have screws in them. So attaching other panes and getting a watertight fit will be difficult.
You're probably better off scoring a free aquarium from someone who got tired of the hobby and use that instead.
After giving it more though I got an idea a little more concrete. My plan now is to dismount the frame and use just the two panes, then make the sides of it from acrylic which is easier to cut and drill and the fix it whit water based silicone. I'm just in doubt about putting a screen on the upper part and attaching some test tubs with water on the sides bc I'm afraid it will get too dry or they will suffocate(I don't even know if this is how it works).
Anyway, thanks for answering me, even though I basically ignored everything u said, I know I might sound a bit childish but I really wanted to do this with my own hands, instead of just getting one that's already done.

Hawkeye

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:14 am

phbora wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
After giving it more though I got an idea a little more concrete. My plan now is to dismount the frame and use just the two panes, then make the sides of it from acrylic which is easier to cut and drill and the fix it whit water based silicone. I'm just in doubt about putting a screen on the upper part and attaching some test tubs with water on the sides bc I'm afraid it will get too dry or they will suffocate(I don't even know if this is how it works).
Anyway, thanks for answering me, even though I basically ignored everything u said, I know I might sound a bit childish but I really wanted to do this with my own hands, instead of just getting one that's already done.
Hahaha I get your passion. And once I get an idea in my head it's very hard to talk me out of it. So I understand. You should probably look into gasoline mesh, a very tightly woven mesh which you can use for your top lid. I know they sell 30 x 30cm pieces of it on wish.com

phbora

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:17 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:14 am
phbora wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Hahaha I get your passion. And once I get an idea in my head it's very hard to talk me out of it. So I understand. You should probably look into gasoline mesh, a very tightly woven mesh which you can use for your top lid. I know they sell 30 x 30cm pieces of it on wish.com
Sorry for taking so long for answering, I had to take a break to focus on studying, I actually bought one of these by coincidence these days, now I'm gonna also gonna use it on the formicarium. thanks for all the help!!!! :D :D :D