Colony Gone Wrong

Ask us forum-related questions, technical help, or give us some suggestions.
Luhandroo143

Colony Gone Wrong

Mon May 04, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi, I have a small problem. (Skip first paragraph for issue)

I live in Georgia and about 2 weeks ago I went outside to just look under some rocks and check out how insects outside were responding to the cold weather. Along my journey, I found 2 fire ant queens together and for some reason, I thought it was a good idea to get them both and the handful of ants that were with them. I have since fed them and kept cleaning their water. they live in a 10 x 4 x 4-inch plastic container, with the lid flipping up, sort of like a toolbox. I put dirt up to 3 inches high. I was just trying to be funny and mess around with my sister, I didn't fully believe I found 2 fire ant queens.

Here's the issue,
There are actually more ants than when I started and am afraid that if I don't do something soon I'll be in trouble. I don't want to get rid of everything, what should I do? Please, I'm free for any feedback and any other questions.

Qwertyfood12323

Re: Colony Gone Wrong

Tue May 05, 2020 3:43 am

you could try to sell them on GAN if you do not want them
this is the link to GAN: https://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/
or you could make/buy a formicarium to keep them.
you also could release them or ask your parents if you can keep ants as a pet and pretend to "find them" to keep them
Good luck sorting it out.
Keeper of 1 prenolepis imparis (think)

LanceZylstra

Re: Colony Gone Wrong

Wed May 27, 2020 9:55 am

so i recently caught a new camponotus queen ant and i was trying to move her into a test tube but she fell a 3 foot drop. she did immediatly get up and start moving. do you think she will be ok and is there gonna be any lack of egg laying.
the secound problem is she is always trying to pull out the cotten in the test tube.

Return to “ACAF Questions, Support, and Suggestions for the forums”