Painting an ant nest

Make your suggestions here.
jwwils02

Painting an ant nest

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:45 pm

Hello Ant Family! I have been trying my hand at nest/formicarium creation. I've gotten fairly decent at it, but I can't figure out what the best media is to use for painting the walls of the nest. Does anyone have any suggestions? I recently did one in acrylic but it still seems a bit sticky, it has been roughly 36 hours since I painted it, but it is cold here in Oklahoma.

I welcome any helpful hints.

Additionally, if you have a specific source in mind feel free to paste the link.

Thanks!

Justin

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Painting an ant nest

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:27 pm

jwwils02 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:45 pm
Hello Ant Family! I have been trying my hand at nest/formicarium creation. I've gotten fairly decent at it, but I can't figure out what the best media is to use for painting the walls of the nest. Does anyone have any suggestions? I recently did one in acrylic but it still seems a bit sticky, it has been roughly 36 hours since I painted it, but it is cold here in Oklahoma.

I welcome any helpful hints.

Additionally, if you have a specific source in mind feel free to paste the link.

Thanks!

Justin
What did you make the nest out of? That could narrow down the types of paint you should/could use.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

jwwils02

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:17 pm

The current nests are made of plaster, but I will be doing grout nests in the near future.

Hunter36o

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:31 am

Now this is based off of the dark den (tarantula youtuber) but he uses black aquatic silicone when making their nests. I mention this because after he spreads it over his background. He can than use an actual substrate as the background instead of a pain making it more natural. His preferred choice is Coco brick.

As far as paints go, from what I know of. Anything child and fish friendly is generally ant friendly as they generally have less fumes and such.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.