Natural formicarium

Make your suggestions here.
Stavola22

Natural formicarium

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:51 pm

So I am new to the ant keeping lifestyle and absolutely enjoy it! I have a pogonomyrmex Queen and a tetramorium Queen. I plan on making an all natural formicarium just one tiny problem. I don’t know what soil is good! I live in Idaho so more towards the west coast. That is the only challenge I am facing. I don’t know if I should just dig up some soil so that way it’ll have all the natural decomposers or to purchase some, I hope you all have a great day!

Sethinski

Re: Natural formicarium

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Make sure you research how to properly do a natural nest, you will have a lot more success of you incorporate layers in the ground like a drainage layer and such. But in terms of a digging medium i have had dirt that I dug up outside my house work, you just want to make sure it's clean and pesticide free. Also if you buy soil just check to make sure that it is all natural and has no fertilizer. Also I don't know if you have done this already but I would recommend starting your tetramorium colony in a test tube setup, but a pogonomyrmex queen is semi claustral and can go directly to a natural nest as she needs to eat during founding.

Stavola22

Re: Natural formicarium

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:58 pm

Thank you so much! My Pogo Queen is in a little natural container although she closed off the culusteral hole and haven’t seen any activity I believe she is doing great and my tetras are in a test tube but thank you so much