Help with Camponotus

Here we curate the wealth of ant keeping knowledge, experiences, and posts of ant keepers of various experiences levels, geographical locations, and specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Help with Camponotus

Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:46 am

So I have a small Camponotus colony, and mine are preparing for hibernation (this species will sometimes not do diapause or hibernation in my location) and I got up this morning to find out they were trying to move onto the tubing to connect them to there outworld. Any suggestions?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Antloverhuman

Re: Help with Camponotus

Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:47 am

They might not hibernate and were already full of food so they didn't come out. Now that they don't have food they could be trying to forage. Something similar happened to my ants. The wild colony dont hibernate but mine suddenly stopped foraging and apparently now they are hibernating
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:34 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
They might not hibernate and were already full of food so they didn't come out. Now that they don't have food they could be trying to forage. Something similar happened to my ants. The wild colony dont hibernate but mine suddenly stopped foraging and apparently now they are hibernating
The queen was in the tubing

Antloverhuman

Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:08 am

Well that is very interesting. One reason could be that your test tube was exposed to light or other things which caused them to shift to the tube. Other thing could be that there was too much humidity in thier test tube and they shifted to the tube which was much drier
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:47 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:08 am
Well that is very interesting. One reason could be that your test tube was exposed to light or other things which caused them to shift to the tube. Other thing could be that there was too much humidity in thier test tube and they shifted to the tube which was much drier
There tube is VERY dry. They have enjoyed it for the past few weeks, and they were not exposed, as all the lights were off.

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:52 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Quick update:
It might be to dry so I dropped a single drop of water in. Also, they keep moving brood in and out of tubing