Eggs in hibernation?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

DeanMontague

Eggs in hibernation?

Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:21 pm

Hi guys

I caught my lasius Flavus queens in august and had them 4 months now. They didn’t lay when initially caught due to poor environment. They’re now in test tubes and should be hibernating because of the species (and I’m in the UK). However, one of my queens has laid a small batch of 5-7 eggs. The eggs don’t seem to be growing however, I think they must be 2+ weeks old now at least. Will they grow in winter? Will this batch of eggs grow in spring time onwards or are they doomed?

Another thing, I think I packed the wool too tight on the water side of the tube, you can see in the pic it looks quite dry. I’ve slowly been using a tool to push the wool slightly down once a week until it is a bit saturated. But this isn’t ideal, and I’ll have to relocate them to another tube soon enough bevause of lack of water. Is there a way to make sure the wool stays wet? Also, is it too risky moving the queen once the water runs out with a small batch of immature eggs?

Edit; looks like I can’t post pics very well… here’s some links. One of the queens has a slight dint in her abdomen (the one laying) so I hope it won’t impact her. I don’t even know if they’re definitely lasius flavus but I caught them next to a flavus nuptial

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZANk4F2qeM1RCzGEA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kDmwayWtUY7fVNYu7

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Eggs in hibernation?

Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:09 pm

DeanMontague wrote:
Hi guys

I caught my lasius Flavus queens in august and had them 4 months now. They didn’t lay when initially caught due to poor environment. They’re now in test tubes and should be hibernating because of the species (and I’m in the UK). However, one of my queens has laid a small batch of 5-7 eggs. The eggs don’t seem to be growing however, I think they must be 2+ weeks old now at least. Will they grow in winter? Will this batch of eggs grow in spring time onwards or are they doomed?

Another thing, I think I packed the wool too tight on the water side of the tube, you can see in the pic it looks quite dry. I’ve slowly been using a tool to push the wool slightly down once a week until it is a bit saturated. But this isn’t ideal, and I’ll have to relocate them to another tube soon enough bevause of lack of water. Is there a way to make sure the wool stays wet? Also, is it too risky moving the queen once the water runs out with a small batch of immature eggs?

Edit; looks like I can’t post pics very well… here’s some links. One of the queens has a slight dint in her abdomen (the one laying) so I hope it won’t impact her. I don’t even know if they’re definitely lasius flavus but I caught them next to a flavus nuptial

According to other people on formiculture, if the eggs can’t survive the queen will make sure there are no more… but, apparently it does depend on species. Either way, your queen will end up with more eggs if all is well after hibernation.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:55 am

DeanMontague wrote:
Hi guys

Ants do have a biological clock, so it was her choice and she could raise them…
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:39 am

Funny how many people still haven't started hibernation. It's like 2 months since they should be hibernating. xD
Anyway if you start hibernation now, the eggs might just die off. Means if they were larvae they would make it through the winter since they would just do the same like the ants. However it's odd that your queen has laid eggs about 2+ weeks ago. I recommend you put her in hibernation inside of your fridge at 5 - 8°C and wait until March.
Also if your queen hasn't eaten the eggs or the eggs have started to mold then offer your queen a small piece of insect after hibernation since she might need some protein.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

DeanMontague

Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:39 am

Thanks for your replies!

I live in the UK and the ants are currently in the top shelf of a bedside table drawer - it can get quite cold in my room without the heating on so I assumed I didn’t have to put them in the fridge? I wouldn’t feel confident doing this without killing them…
The other queen is definitely hibernating - no eggs and minimal movement.

When is the normal time for them to come out of hibernation? I did give her a small dead fly recently but she chucked it at the end of her tube.

Can anyone advise on the best way to make the wool seal so it slowly soaks up the water over time without assistance ?

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:02 am

DeanMontague wrote:
When is the normal time for them to come out of hibernation? I did give her a small dead fly recently but she chucked it at the end of her tube.
AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:39 am
... put her in hibernation inside of your fridge at 5 - 8°C and wait until March.
DeanMontague wrote:
Can anyone advise on the best way to make the wool seal so it slowly soaks up the water over time without assistance ?
Not sure where this is now coming from. Please explain further.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

DeanMontague

Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:09 pm

Sure, I posted about it in the original post but will repeat:

In the pics I shared I’ve set up a traditional test tube setup. However I think I overcompacted the wool near the water. It seems to dry out rather than soaking up the water in the chamber. I don’t know if you can tell this from the pictures, the wool looks dry that the ants are near. I have to push it down further into the water 1mm once a week so that the water is waterline because I’m scared they can’t access any water. I’ll be moving the queens in a month or so when the water runs out - so I want to make sure I don’t make the same mistake again. Is there a way to do this properly? The eggs aren’t developing btw, assuming she’ll take them to the new tube when water runs out or eat them.

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:06 am

Well you just need to use less wool. It's not too difficult to do but lets say if you have to compress the cotton really hard before putting it in, then you are doing something wrong.
If you have a syringe, you can try to soak up water from the cotton and if it doesn't move deaper on it's own, then you did it too tight.