new to forum. Louisianaian looking for new hobby

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

Bierschneeman

new to forum. Louisianaian looking for new hobby

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:52 pm

not sure if I'll end up ant keeping, but I am highly interested with the AntsCanada videos. problem being, there are no GAN farmers in my state (LA)(although some states, the prices are high enough, might as well be none.)

so that means I am likely restricted to catching my own queen. when are good times to do so in my state? or. is there somewhere you can point to for info on nuptial flights? I did want to ask on state borders, is this a legal thing, or a responsible thing?

I ask because I live on the Texas border, and there are many farmers, selling over a dozen species living in LA. but no farmers here.

(no interest in RIFA I have some pretty bad reactions that cost be a shoe, a wedding ring, due to swelling. biting is fine, I do a lot of gardening, most bites and stings don't seem to affect me much.)

( IF I don't go in for any keeping, my skills lealead refined here will likely be used for some sort of insect keeping, I am currently into reptile keeping)
Founding:
3 Solenopsis I/X
5 Tapinoma sessile
1 Nylanderia terricola/vivulda

Colonies:
1 Brachymyrmex patagonicus
1 Pheidole soritis
1 Tapinoma sessile

The difference between a hobby and a scientific pursuit, is detailed notes.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: new to forum. Louisianaian looking for new hobby

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:48 pm

Bierschneeman wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:52 pm
not sure if I'll end up ant keeping, but I am highly interested with the AntsCanada videos. problem being, there are no GAN farmers in my state (LA)(although some states, the prices are high enough, might as well be none.)

so that means I am likely restricted to catching my own queen. when are good times to do so in my state? or. is there somewhere you can point to for info on nuptial flights? I did want to ask on state borders, is this a legal thing, or a responsible thing?

I ask because I live on the Texas border, and there are many farmers, selling over a dozen species living in LA. but no farmers here.

(no interest in RIFA I have some pretty bad reactions that cost be a shoe, a wedding ring, due to swelling. biting is fine, I do a lot of gardening, most bites and stings don't seem to affect me much.)

( IF I don't go in for any keeping, my skills lealead refined here will likely be used for some sort of insect keeping, I am currently into reptile keeping)
Interesting question, if you live ON the border, it be be reasonable to buy from both Texas and LA, as long as you see workers of that species locally. Also, I am glad you are not interested in invicta(RIFA), as they are highly illegal to sell, and get some serious fines.

In your state, you can start catching queens as early as April(depending on humidity, temperature, etc.) to late as early October. I also have heard that you have atta down in Texas, but in the location you live do you?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…