Best starter kit option if we don't know what kind of Queen we'll end up with?

Posts about AC Gear Packs and Starter Kits

Moderator: ooper01

kfam421

Best starter kit option if we don't know what kind of Queen we'll end up with?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:06 pm

We are looking to purchase a starter kit for a birthday gift for our 13 YO son who has been an avid fan of AntsCanada for a while now. We plan to try to catch our own Queen, but have NO idea what kind we may end up with. Is it best to just start with the AC Starter Gear Pack and a small Ant Tower (which ends up being $100) or should we just get the All You Need which seems to come with a much broader set-up? Not sure if the All You Need is just too big for a brand new colony/ant keeper? And what kind of nest would we go with if we didn't know what kind we'll end up with? We live in Central Wisconsin.

Any advice on best starter set-ups is welcome. Right now I'm leaning toward the AC Starter Gear Pack and Small Ant Tower as that gives him the option to catch several queens and get those started while having a 'home' as soon as any get big enough to move.

AM1C39

Re: Best starter kit option if we don't know what kind of Queen we'll end up with?

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:25 am

i would suggest the AC Starter Gear Pack and a small Ant Tower.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

kfam421

Re: Best starter kit option if we don't know what kind of Queen we'll end up with?

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:23 am

Thanks! Very excited to begin our antkeeping journey!