Omni vs. Hybrid

Posts about AC Gear Packs and Starter Kits

Moderator: ooper01

ArizonanAnts

Re: Omni vs. Hybrid

Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:00 am

rn the omni is not in production so I would say the Hybrid. There are a lot of different designs as well acording to the king of ant you're housing.
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

Alaydia

Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:48 pm

Agree with above. To add to the discussion my two cents, I have found that the openings on the Omni nests are EXTREMELY small, so small that I could not even fit the tiny bit of tubing that came with the nests into them even after heating. I had to basically glue it on with silicone. So I'm not going to recommend these for larger ants or for any type of digging medium, as those tiny openings will get clogged up fast. The other gripe I have is that the outworld that comes with the nest is basically a box with a screened lid. There are corners for the ants to climb, the large-sized outworld is rickety and held together with pegs that wobble about, and, ironically, I wouldn't trust the hold or the screen to hold small ants. For my money, I would say only get an omni if you have small ants you want a really good view of, scrap the outworld for something better, and make VERY sure the dozens of screws and caps are secure. The hybrids come built with your ants in mind, have a nice port for a heating cable, and are easy to hydrate. The first time I tried to hydrate my omni, water leaked into the nest itself because the sponge was bone dry and absorbed none of it. You have to take the sponge out the first time and soak it, before you put ants into the nest. The hybrid requires you to use your own hydrating material, but we all have cotton balls anyway and those worked just fine when I tested them out. You absolutely have to glue the glass down after you put in any digging medium you want, or the slightest jar will cause it to move and ants to be injured or escape. There's also the matter of the hydration tray holding a good deal more water then you actually need. If this spills, it's a mess, and if you didn't glue the glass, well, that's a disaster just waiting to happen.

Hope that helps!
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.

Alaydia

Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:33 am

No problem, glad I could help!
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.