Help choosing gear pack please!

Posts about AC Gear Packs and Starter Kits

Moderator: ooper01

CANant

Help choosing gear pack please!

Sun May 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Hello 👋🏻
I have kept Camponotus ants before but always failed after a few months. This was over 20 years ago and I never understood what I was doing wrong until now thanks Mikey Bustos and all the AntsCanada videos! Over the years I never lost that fascination with ants and now I’m wanting to give it another go with all my new found knowledge.
I will start with Camponotus again so I’m leaning towards the ‘All You Need’ Camponotus Hybrid 2.0 Gear Pack however I noticed the ‘All You Need’ Formica Hybrid 2.0 Gear Pack would also work for them and potentially other species if I choose. ***Placing my order in the next couple of days.***
Wish starting/keeping citronella ants was easier!
I’m from Ontario, Canada so when I place my order I want to make sure I will have everything I need to get going. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Woohoo super excited!

Oh ya, I’m also interested in the new valve connectors —which one(s) would I need for the gear packs ?
🐜❤️
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

CANant

Re: Help choosing gear pack please!

Fri May 24, 2019 1:41 pm

Never got a reply so for anyone that’s interested:
I ordered the Camponotus Hybrid 2.0 Gear pack as well as an additional Camponotus Formicarium and 2 valves of each kind. I didn’t expect the formicarium’s to be so large (which was a pleasant surprise! However now I wish I had ordered the Camponotus Hybrid Gear Pack and a an additional Formica Hybrid 2.0 Formicarium instead. I decided to go with 2 Formicarium's because, if for whatever reason, I have to transfer the colony to the other nest to clean the dirty/mouldy one I can do that with ease or I can use it to expand their nest size when the time comes. Really excited to get it all started up and super thrilled with the quality! Thanks AntCanada.
🐜 ❤️ 4 ♾
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

WillWithAnts

Fri May 24, 2019 3:57 pm

Awesome! I'm hoping to get started again too! Camponotus spp. are my favorite!

Hawkeye

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:17 am

CANant wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:41 pm
Never got a reply so for anyone that’s interested:
I ordered the Camponotus Hybrid 2.0 Gear pack as well as an additional Camponotus Formicarium and 2 valves of each kind. I didn’t expect the formicarium’s to be so large (which was a pleasant surprise! However now I wish I had ordered the Camponotus Hybrid Gear Pack and a an additional Formica Hybrid 2.0 Formicarium instead. I decided to go with 2 Formicarium's because, if for whatever reason, I have to transfer the colony to the other nest to clean the dirty/mouldy one I can do that with ease or I can use it to expand their nest size when the time comes. Really excited to get it all started up and super thrilled with the quality! Thanks AntCanada.
🐜 ❤️ 4 ♾
What will you use as an arena or fouraging area?

CANant

Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:47 am

Hawkeye- I purchased the Camponotus Hybrid Gear Pack from AntsCanada. It comes with an outworld and test tube setup plus a nest perfect for Camponotus. :) https://www.AntsCanada.com/shop/all-you-need-camponotus-hybrid-gear-pack/

I just caught a queen last week and she started producing eggs immediately. :mrgreen: I believe she is a Camponotus pennsylvanicus. Yesterday there were 8 total. Hope she’s fertile and everything keeps going well.

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s621/Jay-Dee80/Camponotus%20Pennsylvanicus/1EAF1A44-6221-4370-AD21-8299AC2DC59E_zps3ssm8ji2.jpg

Hawkeye

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:41 am

CANant wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:47 am
Hawkeye- I purchased the Camponotus Hybrid Gear Pack from AntsCanada. It comes with an outworld and test tube setup plus a nest perfect for Camponotus. :) https://www.AntsCanada.com/shop/all-you-need-camponotus-hybrid-gear-pack/

I just caught a queen last week and she started producing eggs immediately. :mrgreen: I believe she is a Camponotus pennsylvanicus. Yesterday there were 8 total. Hope she’s fertile and everything keeps going well.

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s621/Jay-Dee80/Camponotus%20Pennsylvanicus/1EAF1A44-6221-4370-AD21-8299AC2DC59E_zps3ssm8ji2.jpg
I read you chose 2 formicariums, must have misunderstood

CANant

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:04 pm

I can understand the confusion. At first I was trying to choose which formicarium (gear pack) to order. I didn’t have a reply to my post in time so I just ordered the Camponotus pack plus a 2nd Camponotus formicarium so I could expand the nest or move them to the other if needed down the road.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

Hawkeye

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:47 pm

CANant wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:04 pm
I can understand the confusion. At first I was trying to choose which formicarium (gear pack) to order. I didn’t have a reply to my post in time so I just ordered the Camponotus pack plus a 2nd Camponotus formicarium so I could expand the nest or move them to the other if needed down the road.
Well that clears it up :D Have you introduced your ants to their new home yet? And if so, do they like it plus where are the pics? :)

CANant

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:19 pm

I can’t seem to attach a picture only a link to the picture. (There is a link posted above you can copy and paste to your browser to view the image). She needs 20-50 workers before I will introduce her to the formicarium. I will try to get a picture (or a link) to my current setup for her. Until she reaches the required workers she will live in a test tube set up.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

Hawkeye

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:39 pm

CANant wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:19 pm
I can’t seem to attach a picture only a link to the picture. (There is a link posted above you can copy and paste to your browser to view the image). She needs 20-50 workers before I will introduce her to the formicarium. I will try to get a picture (or a link) to my current setup for her. Until she reaches the required workers she will live in a test tube set up.
use [ img ] link [ /img] but then without the spaces between the brackets